Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2016, 14:47   #16

Boat: Bristol 35.5
Re: Outboard rail mount help please

Quote:
Originally Posted by powsmias View Post
not 15. bucks but does sit at the T junction.. thanx
WEST MARINE Rail-Mount Outboard Bracket | West Marine
And then there's ebay, givin a beating to the brick and mortar joints

Outboard Engine Motor Storage Bracket Rail Mount 25mm 1" Rail Up to 36kg Boat | eBay
Old 05-08-2016, 16:15   #17

Plans for OB mount... your dimensions may be different
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OB mount.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	166.5 KB
ID:	129051  
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 16:54   #18

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

2 pieces of 1/2" mahogany ply, 6" x 8". Hold against the intersection of hor. and vert. tubing on the stern rail. Mark the T on the blank, cut fillers the thickness of the tubing and attach with screws to leave the T shape clear, Sandwich with the other blank, bolts to hold it together. epoxy coat and paint. Mine is 20 years old.
Old 06-08-2016, 09:09   #19

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

I had a yamaha 4stroke 4hp I mounted on the rail with a generic teak rail mount ($40). It was a heavy outboard. The mount worked great, looked good...for about a year. Then the teak started to crack and needed the usual teak maintenance.

If your outboard is only 30 pounds, I think you could use any mount. Personally, I would get one of the plastic mounts next time.

I sold the boat, the dinghy and the outboard.

I'm hoping my next boat has davits. And a pretty girl in my bunk.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 09:10   #20

Boat: Catalina C-27-Venture of Newport 23'

I used just a simple piece of wood, sealed and painted with 2 u bolts. Mounted on top of stern rail and stanchion in center, stanchion being inboard. Mounted my 4hp Johnson and secured to center stanchion with line, in event of following sea whack and that was it. Lasted the 10 years I had the boat, Columbia 30, and was easily uninstalled and put on my folding swim ladder when main engine failed. That really saved my butt. Had no wind at all and used that little Johnson from WPB to and through Government cut, Miami. Had 3 cruise ships abaft and I'm sure they were not happy. To bad no smartphone then, mid 90's. K.I.S.S. cost was 2 u bolts. Had wood and paint. Good luck.
CREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 09:35   #21

Boat: Sea Ray 270

I made my own as well for a 6 hp outboard. My railings are 1 inch, so I went to the local hardware store and bought a 6" by 1" by 6 ft. piece of smooth lumber. Made a "hook" at the top by using epoxy; epoxied a 1" spacer in then a 4" pirce on that. Made the length of the whole mount long enough so I could use a SS u bolt to bolt it to the bottom rail. The top hooked over the top rail and the ubolt secured it to the second rail. Painted it white with Rustoleum topside paint. Looks great. No way was I going to pay hundreds of dollars for a flimsy plastic piece.
jackheape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 09:38   #22

Boat: Sea Ray 270

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREX View Post
I used just a simple piece of wood, sealed and painted with 2 u bolts. Mounted on top of stern rail and stanchion in center, stanchion being inboard. Mounted my 4hp Johnson and secured to center stanchion with line, in event of following sea whack and that was it. Lasted the 10 years I had the boat, Columbia 30, and was easily uninstalled and put on my folding swim ladder when main engine failed. That really saved my butt. Had no wind at all and used that little Johnson from WPB to and through Government cut, Miami. Had 3 cruise ships abaft and I'm sure they were not happy. To bad no smartphone then, mid 90's. K.I.S.S. cost was 2 u bolts. Had wood and paint. Good luck.
Hey good idea about using it as backup propulsion by fastening to the swim ladder. I could easily do that as well.
jackheape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 10:27   #23

Boat: Ta Chiao 56

I've got the WM white plastic mount, had a 7.5 Merc on it for several years, zero issues. That Merc weighs at least 75-80 pounds. On the stern at a tee.
Brewgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 10:59   #24
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Swan 44

I have a used outboard motor mount designed to go at the T of a stern rail. It is rated for up to 8 hp. Will sell to you for $20. No manufacturer name on it. 4 bolts in the corners sandwich it to your stern rail. Made of a hard plastic. Will send from the Boston area. Can send pictures, let me know if you are interested.
Only Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 13:55   #25

Boat: Gulfstar 37 Sloop

the holes are at 90° to each other so it mounts to two rails one horiz and one vert...
Name:   300915.jpg
Views: 392
Size:  4.1 KB
artisanmach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 16:39   #26

Boat: Bristol 38.8

Bought a teak outboard motor mount from Defender-
We have A 30 ft mast head sloop, we have. 40+ yr old evinrude 4 hp.do not have ability to mount with t-rail,
Mounted to top rail of pushpit works fine.
Mplight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 16:40   #27

Boat: Bristol 38.8

That's the one! 20.00 is a good deal!
Mplight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 08:45   #28

Boat: Creala 36

Greetings,
I thought I'd add just one more option here. My motor bracket fits on my double rail pushpit very securely and simply. It needs to be built for the individual situation to fit, but it is very simple.
Mine is 14in. tall, 8in. wide and 2in. thick, of teak, but could be made from any wood or poly, if you can find it that thick,
the bottom is grooved about 1/2in. deep and sits on the lower rail. it is secured with a single 1/2in. stainless strap going underneath the rail and attached with a screw on both front and back. at the upper rail, the wood is grooved horizontally 1in. deep (the diameter of the rail), on the inboard side, and fits over, and flush with the rail. it extends about 1 1/2in. above the rail. It is likewise secured with a single stainless strap going over the top of the wood and across the groove (and rail) on the inboard side of the mount. The width could be adjusted to fit the size of the motor clamps. the mount can be moved to locate anywhere on the rail, and could even be grooved to fit over the station or other vertical or angled member of the rail. next time, I will inlet the straps so that they don't protrude beyond the face of the mount.
I wish I had a photo to show. Its much more simple than it sounds after writing it up.
Keith
Donald Duque is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lease, outboard