Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-06-2017, 08:05   #31

Boat: Jeanneau 43ds
Re: Partially furl the Genoa?

The marks on the foot of the sail might be first at 120-130%, second at 90-110%",third at whatever but the actual % does nor really matter. You can put a small mark on the track for the genoa fairlead that corresponds to each furling mark on the foot of the genoa. That is the reason for the marks on the foot, so you can get the fairlead on the track at the correct position.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 23-06-2017, 12:30   #32

Boat: Montevideo 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMetals View Post
The marks on the foot of the sail might be first at 120-130%, second at 90-110%",third at whatever but the actual % does nor really matter. You can put a small mark on the track for the genoa fairlead that corresponds to each furling mark on the foot of the genoa. That is the reason for the marks on the foot, so you can get the fairlead on the track at the correct position.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
But.....each point of sail needs a different genoa track position, But not necessarily an immediate reefing of the genoa. I am a racer, so sailing optimally is even important when cruising to me.I find that half the time cruisers are not to concerned about exact sail trim. ( Not that it is a bad thing) I ust like to get there as quick as possible without too much strain on the rig.
Jannie Radiance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2017, 15:55   #33

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrbogie View Post
markings to show percent furled???? never heard of it. as a life long sailor it's fair for me to say that life long sailors often know little of what they speak.
Case in point!

Cat manufacturers such as FP and Lagoon provide reefing guides in there Owner Manuals. Here's one such:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BeilzeReefing.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	150534  
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2017, 16:00   #34

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jannie Radiance View Post
But.....each point of sail needs a different genoa track position, But not necessarily an immediate reefing of the genoa. I am a racer, so sailing optimally is even important when cruising to me.I find that half the time cruisers are not to concerned about exact sail trim. ( Not that it is a bad thing) I ust like to get there as quick as possible without too much strain on the rig.
+1
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2017, 22:24   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
markings to show percent furled???? never heard of it.
Here's another example, this sail by Hood:

Notice the first and second reef marks. My sailmaker puts these at 105% and 95% but I doubt that there's any magic to those numbers. I've had these marks on all my genoas, from several different sailmakers. Sure, we could sail without them, and we don't always reef to those points, but when we do they make it easier to know where to put the sheet blocks on their tracks (of course this depends on point of sail, but at least we have a known point of reference).

Quote:
as a life long sailor it's fair for me to say that life long sailors often know little of what they speak. what does knowing the precise fore triangle percentage do for you? 150 135 100 133 33 129???? who cares as long as the boat is powered properly. you have an infinite amount of sail you can shorten to so use whatever it takes. as a life long sailor and professional pilot, in both endeavors we have a concept known as THAR or that looks about right. it ain't about numbers it's about physics and physics don't know math.

that said, always shorten sail fore to aft. reef or change down headsails first, then reef the main to keep her balanced with minimum weather helm. and before you reef the main try a little twist by hauling the traveler IN not OUT and then easing the main sheet. you'll then ease more before flogging and you'll keep the lower part of the sail driving where you gain pointing ability and at the same time you'll spill air out of the upper portion thereby reducing healing moment. i know seems backwards, huh, but easing the traveler in a gust to keep her on her feet is one thing but if it's more than a gust and sailing conditions have changed it's time to retrim not just let everything out.
This is a nice refresher on sail trim in fresh conditions, but what does it have to do with the question at hand?
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2017, 10:33   #36
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Too many and they’re all for sale

I think you gotta feel it. Get to know your boat.

My boat hates having the jib furled. Points like ****, won't hold a course, luffs. I find sailing with mine all the way out in similar wind conditions to what you're describing being much more favorable than rolling it in.

Try it all ways. See what feels right. Cant tell you what to do from a keyboard would need to be in your cockpit.

But moral of the story is:
It's your boat, it's your expenses, it's your call.

Feel free to ask me about actual full service brokerage for only 7% with Knot 10 Yacht Sales - find me on our crew page, Spencer Kent
FutureStories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2017, 10:52   #37

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
. . .
that said, always shorten sail fore to aft. reef or change down headsails first, then reef the main to keep her balanced with minimum weather helm. and before you reef the main try a little twist by hauling the traveler IN not OUT and then easing the main sheet. you'll then ease more before flogging and you'll keep the lower part of the sail driving where you gain pointing ability and at the same time you'll spill air out of the upper portion thereby reducing healing moment. i know seems backwards, huh, but easing the traveler in a gust to keep her on her feet is one thing but if it's more than a gust and sailing conditions have changed it's time to retrim not just let everything out.
Good tip about twisting off the top of the mainsail, but that's not the only way to do it. In many situations you can harden, rather than ease, the mainsheet, or harden the vang, in order to flatten and depower the mainsail, and put the traveler down or ease the main sheet with the vang on hard, to feather the main a bit. This works better on boats with good non-baggy mainsails, and in many cases will produce less drag as the wind will flow more smoothly across the smoothly flattened sail, than across a floppy and twisted off sail. In any case, it's very important to be sure that the mainsail is not oversheeted or traveler too high -- that is, angle of attack too high -- which is very bad when the wind is rising because it will create moment tending to round the boat up.

As to reefing fore to aft -- depends on the boat. That usually works well on fractionally rigged boats. But some older masthead rig boats don't like to have more mainsail up than headsail -- unbalances them and increases weather helm. Some other boats (like mine) don't feel fore-aft balance of the sail plan at all, so I reef on the contrary main first, and avoid reefing the headsail as much as possible, even taking away the main altogether before furling the headsail. Reefed mainsails usually work better than reefed headsails, especially reefed in-mast furling mains, so many sailors prefer to take away sail area starting with the main, if balance allows.

But different boats are different, so everyone has to experiment for himself.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2017, 11:40   #38

A very illuminating and interesting discussion on co.com for those of you who might be in the market for a new jib.

http://forums.catalina.sailboatowner...d.php?t=155362

Please read all three pages. Enjoy.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2017, 11:53   #39

Boat: Pearson 10M

Thanks all, very helpful to hear all your different opinions and experiences.

For those who have Genoas with reef marks from the sailmaker, is there anything special about the luff of the sail? I know some have mentioned a foam luff, I am asking to know more about this feature and if its needed to reef the head sail without undue strain. Some think not, but just asking.
sagablu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2017, 12:08   #40
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Too many and they’re all for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
A very illuminating and interesting discussion on co.com for those of you who might be in the market for a new jib.

Good read

Feel free to ask me about actual full service brokerage for only 7% with Knot 10 Yacht Sales - find me on our crew page, Spencer Kent
FutureStories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2017, 14:13   #41

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post

Good stuff Stu! I have never done it but I do recall in the recesses of memory someone putting a snatch block on the main boom for sheeting out the big genoa clew downwind. For a 150, perhaps it works in terms of geometry.. but I'd like to practice it with someone else's boat first!
Here it is:
http://www.cruisingworld.com/how/proper-trade-wind-rig

Anyway, all good stuff I need to review LEST I think I already know it!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2017, 14:15   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagablu View Post
Thanks all, very helpful to hear all your different opinions and experiences.

For those who have Genoas with reef marks from the sailmaker, is there anything special about the luff of the sail? I know some have mentioned a foam luff, I am asking to know more about this feature and if its needed to reef the head sail without undue strain. Some think not, but just asking.
As far as I can tell, the foam luff is only there to improve the reefed sail shape. I don't see how it reduced the strain on the sail. It definitely does improve the shape by making the reefed sail less baggy.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Genoa, genoa