Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-03-2018, 15:19   #16

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40
Re: Pipe recommendation please for DIY roller furler

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevisDog View Post
Short answer - don't know. 10 years ago, went to nearest rigging shop (cranes and slings and stuff), probably not 7x7 as it bent around the thimbles with ease (19x7?). Stainless rigging was shot and funds were non-existent - wrong answer?
Thats a pretty good answer. 7x19 in general is not as corrosion resistant, as the thin wires cannot be properly galvanised with a thick coating of zinc. A lot of the stuff I've seen almost looks more like it is electroplated and it doesn't last long in the marine environment unless very well looked after with rust preventatives. We had a good run on my folks boat with 6x19 rope core stuff. Well soaked in fishoil and linseed and smeared with white lead paste... lasted about 30 years. The theory being the rope core soaked up the oil and released it under load.

It could have been 7x7. Much better for standing rigging than 7x19. Nearly the same stretch for its weight as 1x19, easy to bend and has good galvanising, at least when you get up to 10mm size. The smaller sizes don't seem as durable.

1x19 or even better 1x7 would be perfect, but its hard to find it with the highest tensile grades. Normally 1x19 is 1500mpa and the 7x7 can be 2000+mpa 1x7 is often only 1200mpa but has very good galvanising. 7x7 has the big downfall of being pretty rough on sails.

Sounds like your rigging did its job, at least for a while. I do like how galvanised rigging shows its condition honestly. No surprises, especially if it isn't painted black.
Old 19-03-2018, 15:25   #17

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40
Re: Pipe recommendation please for DIY roller furler

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post
Probably a good idea. I can just replace the Dyneema line which started me down this road and buy three Crosby Open Spelter Wire Sockets. If in future I decide to add reefing on the roller furler, I can just cut the line, slot in the roller and pole.

Of course it still means before putting the sail in the locker I have to freshwater wash it and dry.

Thanks to all that answered.

Summary:
1. Will replace Dyneema with galvanized and unfortunately don't have a great selection. One firm sells what they call double galvanized solid core wire. But I am 99% sure it is Chinese.

2. Synthetic linseed oil to coat wire.

3. Install plastic tees over wire and loop soft shackles to attach sail.

4. Wash sail before stowing.

If in future want roller furler.

5. 1-1/2" stainless steel pole. Well on 3/4" pole split down middle. Then slice a slot in 3/4" pole to make a sail track.

6. Install sail on sail track with sliders.

Thanks all.
What went wrong with the dyneema?

Galv isn't the best with hanks, as they can wear the galv off pretty quick. Soft shackles may be kinder on the galv.

You can always get a cover made up for the headsail so it can stay on deck. Just like your mainsail cover.

Those spelter sockets look good but they are super heavy and very expensive. You could just get it swaged with a talurit, or use a molly hogan splice on 7x7 wire.

Tags
furler, lease, men, roller furler