Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2008, 07:20   #1

pole mounted radar

I have a smaller (JRC 1000) that I want to mount on the stern. Is there an alternative to the stainless steel pole commonly used for this purpose? The support pole would cost more than the radar unit. For example would an 8' PVC serve as well...thanks
dockgoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 07:40   #2

Boat: Between boats
Send a message via MSN to Hampus
Quote:
Originally Posted by dockgoody View Post
I have a smaller (JRC 1000) that I want to mount on the stern. Is there an alternative to the stainless steel pole commonly used for this purpose? The support pole would cost more than the radar unit. For example would an 8' PVC serve as well...thanks
Hey!

The PVC would probably work, as the JRC-1000 is pretty much weightless Downsides of PVC is that it's sensitive to UV-radiation from the sun, and also to mechanical damage. It's really sensitve to hard blows from sharp or hard objects. Why not build one yourself out of an aluminium or SS pole?

/Hampus
Old 11-12-2008, 08:50   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Painting the PVC helps a lot with UV...however almost anything would work, if $$ is the concern...wood, galv. Alum.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 08:52   #4
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Make sure it is something strong enough to catch your falling weight. I would do something beside PVC.
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 09:12   #5

Boat: Outbound 44
You don't say what type of sailing you do and in what conditions. For all but very light weight stuff, the PVC will be inappropriate. Eventually, it will come down. The cost of aluminum pipe is not that bad. A lot of the high cost of the radar poles is in the mounting fittings. So if you are willing to get creative in making your own mountings, then why not buy a 3 in. AL pole and start from their. You might find one in a used metal yard or purchase new.

Paul L
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 09:13   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampus View Post
Hey!

The PVC would probably work, as the JRC-1000 is pretty much weightless Downsides of PVC is that it's sensitive to UV-radiation from the sun, and also to mechanical damage. It's really sensitve to hard blows from sharp or hard objects. Why not build one yourself out of an aluminium or SS pole?

/Hampus
It would probably work if you filled it with rebar and cement! Please do not use PVC! Anyone who's ever owned a stern pole mounted radome, and sailed in rough seas, knows this is a bad idea regardless of the weight of that dome. Even heavy walled aluminum and stainless poles can suffer from whip PVC would not survive very long..

PVC is not a structural product it flexes, bends, hates UV, cracks when cold and could not handle rough weather. Most of it is the light weigh foam core stuff these days which would offer even less strength when used as a radar mast. Go aluminum or stainless..

My personal preference for better range performance would be to buy a mast mount and put it on the spar... Much less than a stern pole..

The Garhauer stern poles are a good value but you'll give up some range...
Old 11-12-2008, 09:16   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42
These are some very good suggestions, and very good explanations of why you don't see a lot of PVC pipe on sailboats. In the end, its just cheaper ($250) to mount the radar on the mast (presuming you have a sailboat). The optimum height for a JRC 1000 is 20-22 feet above the water, to match its power to the horizon and still give you bouys and bulkheads close in. My first radar was an RL-9 on am 8' tall 2" dia ss pole, and I was amazed at the improvement when I got a higher antenna. That pole was next to the transom steps and no one every got on or off the boat (or took the pause that refreshes) without leaning or pulling on it.
sandy daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 09:35   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Quote:
Originally Posted by dockgoody View Post
It seemed to me that cost was a big consideration, and because Dockgoody suggested 8" Hello....that’s EIGHT INCHES, I assume he has access to a piece of it.
Have any of you messed with 8" PVC...if its at least sch40 its a serious structural element.
Of course its not conventional of optimal, or even pretty, but that wasn’t the question, would it work, you bet!
Old 11-12-2008, 10:23   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

OK...I need glasses...he said 8ft not 8in............never mind!
Old 11-12-2008, 11:57   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
I'm not advocating PVC for the pole but there is PVC and then there is PVC. Schedule 20 is for irrigation with very thin walls. Not good for any structural use. Schedule 40 is what is normally used for household coldwater pipes. It has thicker walls and some structural integrity. Schedule 80 has way thicker walls and it designed to take lots of abuse. Think Schedule 80 would be your only choice for a radar mast, if your locked into PVC.

Aloha
Peter O
Pearson 35
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 12:51   #11

Boat: Tartan, 41 TOCK- Bear
McMAsters Car has fiberglass structure shapes. A 2 inch dia tube is about 80 bucks. Good stuff!
EddieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 07:52   #12
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
May I repeat.....it's needs to be strong enough to retain your falling weight. Maybe the PVC won't break in the middle, but what about it's own pedastal, or where any fittings are attached for support? Will this cause it to splinter, or go over the side with you hanging on?....voice of experience speaking about being thrown over the side. Thank goodness PVC wasn't on my boat!.......i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radar