Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-06-2016, 08:16   #1

Boat: Bristol 47.7 1985
Pole or Asymmetrical Chute

We seem to be straight downwind moving boat NE in late Spring or Summer or South in Fall. Bristol 47.7 with 130% forward sail, no bowsprit. Seems like reasonable minds differ on whether to get a good whisker pole for asymm cruising chute. Pole seems great for straight downwind going wing and wing. Is chute more versatile. Recommendations?? Thanks
evbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2016, 15:03   #2

Boat: Island Packet 40
Re: Pole or Asymmetrical Chute

I mostly sail single handed down wind and for me it's a matter of manageability. I can handle an asymmetric by myself by putting it up and down behind the genoa.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2016, 15:41   #3

Boat: Sabre 38
Re: Pole or Asymmetrical Chute

I don't think you are getting much of a bite on this because the folks that know the answer have addressed it dozens of time. The Google search function of the forum is very good. In fact, there was a very recent discussion that was great.

That said, I guess you can get either a pole or an a-spin, but not both? They are just different set ups with pros and cons. One will be better than the other in some conditions and vice versa. No right answer. Not really even a better answer. Just answers. They are both great to have.

That said... Maybe go with the pole to make the sailing close DDW safer and easier.

(I have a 100% jib so I was more inclined to go a-spin before the pole, but I'll end up with both soon.)

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

s/v Carpe Ventum
1983 Sabre 38
My Intro
fallingeggs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
asymmetric, cal