Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: Poll Cruisers.... Code 0 or Asymmetrical Spinnaker or Other?
Code 0 4 17.39%
Asymmetrical Spinnaker 17 73.91%
Other 2 8.70%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-12-2020, 10:03   #16

Boat: 1975 Tartan 41'
Re: Poll Cruisers... Code 0 or Asymmetrical Spinnaker

Get the A-sym.. This Youtube video just did a special on this exact question.
zstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2020, 10:50   #17

Boat: J/30

As already mentioned, a Code 0 is optimal in a narrow range and not ideal for downwind.
I’ve been on a boat with a furling asymmetrical and it was certainly more work for us to furl it than to do a traditional douse. My point is that it may be worth looking into improved asym furling systems that are tested and proven to work reliably and easily if you’re not happy with how yours furls.
Enialb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2020, 12:35   #18

Boat: Krogen Express 49
Send a message via Skype™ to theoleduc

Have you considered a "parasailor"... just a link explaining the sail.
Parasailor - ISTEC - The Downwind Company

I crossed two times the Atlantic westwards ... the sail was up several days in a row.
theoleduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2020, 12:40   #19

It depends on the wind angle and wind strength (and on the cut of the sail, of course).
I have a Code 0, an A3 (an asymmetric for beam reaching), and an A2 (an asymmetric for broad reaching and downwind). The Code 0 is on a top-down furler, the A2 and A3 are on a sock.

The sail that gets used the least is by far the Code 0 for three reasons:
- Beam reach: the wind angles/strengths when it is better than the A3 are not that many. Basically, anything greater or equal to 90 degrees, A3 is way better. Between 70 and 90 degrees, Code 0 is better. Below 70, Code 0 starts to be tricky, it is probably time to use the jib.
- Broad reach/downwind: Code 0 is not cut for downwind. A2 of course is ideal, you can stretch the use of the A3 to broad reaching in > 10 knots by easing the tack line; nothing you can do with the Code 0.
- Top-down furling conceptually sounds like an easier sail, but in practice the sock is so much more reliable and fool proof, especially in > 15 knots.
In percentages, roughly, the A2 gets used 65% of the time, the A3 25%, and the Code 0 10% of the time or less.

If I had to only pick one sail out of the three, I would pick the A2, it is by far the most versatile sail (you can fly it even at 90-100 degree angles, although of course not ideal, and it blows the other two sails by a lot for 110 degree angles and above).
FabioC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2020, 13:35   #20

Boat: Pearson 323, Tayana V42CC

I have used a Doyle UPS which is like a big genoa on a furler for 45 to about 110 AWA and an asymmetrical on a sock for 110 plus AWA. For near DDW I have used a poled out 135 genoa and the asymmetric with the main up but sheeted in to reduce roll but only if I have crew, during the day and in light airs.

The Doyle UPS is one of the best sails I have ever owned. Very versatile and easy to set and stow.
Scubaseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2020, 10:24   #21

Boat: Lagoon TPI 37'

I say get both. You will always find a need for the sail you don't have. I prefer them in a sock. I have a Code 0 on a furler and a huge spinnaker in a sock. Now I "need" a smaller assym. preferably in a sock.

We will never have enough sails.
I use my beam (20') to keep inflated but the boom works pretty good as well.

Going down wind is all about keeping the dang fabric full.
Code 0 for reaching to broad then assym. in light winds.
sailingchiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2020, 12:07   #22

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windswept-windy View Post
DeValency....thanks heapsf or your input! Having said that, I'll have to research the gennaker as you suggest. My thinking, well firstly, all sails will be replaced. I'm sure sails are original to the boat (2000) except for the asymmetrical.

For the forstay, 120, 9.5 radial cut. (I'm working on sail material). Reef that sail to conditions untill it's gone, where I'll fall back to the 10oz staysail to storm reefed conditions if need be.

My asymmetrical....somewhat tired. So, need either new asymmetrical or Code 0 & furled. Decisions, decisions. Of couse as you suggest....acquire UV protection for new asymmetrial &b keep my top down.

Downwind:
I'm thinking, wing and wind with code 0 and headsail. Pole out the Code 0 and use main boom (main furled) to pole out the headsail or vice vers with the poles.

Thanks
Don

Just trying to get a census on how many cruisers are using a Code 0 vers Asymmetrical.
Don, agree with you on the way to go. If you scroll down, there is a nice post and link to a smart wing on wing - code 0 and genoa on an Amel. But... it requires some deck work, whisker poles (one can somehow be replaced by the boom with a preventer). Think if you really want to commit to such operation.

I would start with ONE largest possible, light genoa-gennaker/code 0 (furled!) and see how it works fir you when sailing around your local waters before any major decision on another sail. The MAC video looks good.

The name of the game is convenience and versatility, not keeping an inventory of sails in the cabins and play with frequent sails exchange.
Old 16-12-2020, 20:42   #23

Boat: Hylas 46

Members/sailors, thank you for your replies,insights & suggestions. Wow, sure looks like (poll) is screaching away with the asymmertical. Interesting to day the least. Must report....still waiting on Kopollie report on exactly how he's using his Code 0. Here is a quote regarding his last transmission...

We like the Code 0 on a foil furler a lot, prefer it to the assym and drifter jib on a foiless furler we had on our previous boat. Because . . . We don't have to store sailbags below. Carry them up to the foredeck, and then back down. It's always easily available to use, even for a short time. It can even be used reefed. Keeps the boat going in light winds. (We have UV protection on it.) We consider it one of the most successful upgrades we made. I wish I had stuck to my original desires, and put the tack on a short bowsprit. Just as far forward as the anchor. It would have made getting to the anchors easier. But the budget talked me out of it.

Having said that.....if you look at Kopollie's vid in the first post....at the end he's sailing with the Code 0 wing & wing DDW. Needless to say, I'm not sure how this setup will work in trades with a somewhat large following sea? As he says above I noticed.....he does/can reef the code 0 if need be.

DeValency
You say... The name of the game is convenience and versatility.

Exactly!! hey, I love to tweak...but, I more prone to kick back!
You also go on to say...."Scroll down" not sure where? Advise and thanks!!

Tags
cruiser, cruise, poll, cal, spinnaker, asymmetric