Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-12-2013, 12:43   #16
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: Polyester Cover Only?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weyalan View Post
I'm know how to splice Dyneema. My comments were about fitting a cover over single-braid Dyneema (for the portion that would go on the winch and through a jammer or clutch).
Look in the picture I just posted: you splice it back into the core and then a stitch and whip to keep it there.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2013, 13:06   #17

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

Raindog.
What rigging are you replacing? Halyards? Sheets?
Old 17-12-2013, 13:08   #18

I am going to use Dyneema for reef lines, life lines, running backstays, and the topping lift. Will cover with poly for winches and New England ARC for chafe points.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2013, 17:02   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Raindog,

To add the cover you run the dyneema into the cover about a foot from one end, down the cover to about a foot before the other end then out. This gives you the start of a normal taper splice on either end of the cover.

If it isn't clear let me know (by pm so I remember), I will be out of town for a few weeks, but when I get back I will make an example.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2013, 18:40   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
Raindog,

To add the cover you run the dyneema into the cover about a foot from one end, down the cover to about a foot before the other end then out. This gives you the start of a normal taper splice on either end of the cover.

If it isn't clear let me know (by pm so I remember), I will be out of town for a few weeks, but when I get back I will make an example.
Seems clear. Jedi's picture helps a lot too. This is all work my wife (Ocean Girl) will do, but I will watch and "help"

Thanks everyone for the tips!

I will post pictures when she is done.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2013, 19:48   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

You can see how I taper on the end of the halyard on the picture above too. I tape it together while working, removing the tape shortly before finishing the splice.

One of the very nice things to do with this, is what I was at here: a Flemish splice at the end of the halyard to tie a messenger line too when you want to remove the halyard from the mast (we do when we're not sailing for a while, so that there is no UV damage).

The trick of the Flemish splice is that it will pass clutches, blocks etc. because the diameter does not increase. You taper the core (I used Vectran here but it's the same for Dyneema) and then just splice the outer braid on that tapered position. Here are two pics to show how I proceeded:

Easy and quick and you smile every time you make use of it
Old 18-12-2013, 15:50   #22

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Look in the picture I just posted: you splice it back into the core and then a stitch and whip to keep it there.
Do you separate the cover into individual (or pairs) of braids and bury each individually, or do you bury the cover in one piece and then taper?
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2013, 15:56   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weyalan View Post
Do you separate the cover into individual (or pairs) of braids and bury each individually, or do you bury the cover in one piece and then taper?
Bury entire cover and then taper (where you pull the fid out and then smooth the dyneema to suck taper back in) is the usual /faster way.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2013, 15:59   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post
Bury entire cover and then taper (where you pull the fid out and then smooth the dyneema to suck taper back in) is the usual /faster way.
I have seen this done, but I have also seen the cover split into multiple strands, each buried individually into a different gap in the core braid - making for a more balanced (and pretty) bury, but helluva time consuming, I'd imagine.
Old 18-12-2013, 16:14   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Agreed . . . Both are possible techniques . . . And one is slightly prettier (although if you whip the interface you can't even see it) while the other is way faster.
Old 18-12-2013, 16:25   #26

I've also seen 2 or even 3 individual short (maybe 8 loop) whips in the core where the cover is buried... presumably to prevent the cover moving inside the core. Do you do this?
Old 18-12-2013, 18:14   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

^^ many (most?) pro riggers will whip the entire 'interface' (where the cover dives into the core) for about an inch so you don't see it at all. I think they do this to absolutely prevent that area from hanging up in a clutch.

I (usually) don't. I stitch thru (rather than whip) the interface and most of the way down the buried cover. Seems to work for me . . .but I don't use this sort of buried cover very often. I insert 'bulking' cord into the core of single braid where they clutch will grip That is cleaner and easier and also allows (good) clutches to grip it. I do that on all my mainsail reef lines. I copied this from the volvo boys . . . if it works for them I figured it would work for me (and it has).
Old 18-12-2013, 18:20   #28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

So many methods… I comb the cover, then spread it out so that every little strand lays next to the others. I then take scissors and cut diagonally to create a tapered shape. I divide that in three bundles that I splice into the core using a Samson hook (takes every bundle of strands in one go… you can see it laying there in the picture).

I did not whip the strands inside the core but may be should have and will next time.

The whole process is pretty quick after the first one you do. I did many, like on each running backstay (Dyneema) where they cross the spreaders, as chafing gear. For my ketch with double spreaders, that is 16 of these splices right there!