Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-12-2023, 13:07   #16

Boat: Aluminum, Brewer 54.
Re: Precision sails

We too, have a New Suit of sails from Precision...
Product is well above average. I bought a new sail from Quantum for my old A-Class cat, and it never did fit right.
Precisions new sails on this Brewer 54, are well above what I had, and above what I expected.
Delivery time was within what they had told us, and all four,(main, mizzen, jib, and genoa) fit perfectly.
There was a small issue with bolt rope sizes on the for-sails, and they jumped to the task to get those upgraded. (unfortunatly, the loft they chose to do it must have been in a big hury, because some of the finer details were underwhelming)
The yacht sails to-wind far better than it ever has on the old sails. (30-32deg now, as opposed to 40-46, )
The most outstanding point, was the quality of their fit. The new colour pattern really brightens up our old "battle-axe" look...
overall, we give Precision sails, a solid 9 out of 10!
Cheers to Jeramy and Ron for looking after us!
Grippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2023, 13:25   #17

Boat: Com-Pac 27, Com-Pac 23D

Two years ago I purchased a main and 155 genoa for my Com-Pac 23. Great discussion with the designer after submitting the measurements. The entire process was efficient and resulted in great sails for my boat. The price was good and the service/interaction with Ron and the designer were excellent. When I purchased a Com-Pac 27 recently it needed a new genoa so I again went back to Precision and had the same outcome. I give them high marks for knowledge, product and customer service.
Topsailb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2023, 10:04   #18

Boat: Jeanneau 419

OK so asked samples of the cloth to be mailed,

Not possible because the sails are made in Shenzen they said

I'm an importer and am very familiar with international biz.

They can pop an envelope in the mail to the USA for a few $$$

So they would pass on an order for almost $13,000.

Sorry just not comfortable without seeing what it looks/feels like.

I told them the choice is theirs if they want the order
Jimbo2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2023, 12:45   #19

Boat: Fairweather Mariner/Westsail 39

Several years ago I purchased a Precision stays'l - hank on with reef points - for my 39' cutter. Though small, this proved to be a pretty complex sail to get right and the staff at Precision spent a lot of time, engaged in informed discussion on the phone, and produced a great sail.

Based on that experience, a few years later I purchased a new Precision main, two reefs, triple stitched, etc., prior to a late season sail from San Diego to Hawaii, stipulating that they had to deliver it by a specific date otherwise I wouldn't be able to use it if I kept to my planned departure. Folks from their loft were going to be out in San Diego anyway and took measurements from a number of boats while there themselves, mine included, so I didn't have to measure it myself and send the numbers in.

When the sail arrived (later than it was supposed to) it was a full two feet too long in the foot! - belying their brand name I guess. I didn't think there was time enough to correct the issue but they insisted on sending me another sail, causing more delay. This replacement one fit, kind of, (still a little too long in the luff), but the seams were not triple stitched as I had specified and the sail turned out to be, straight out of the bag, the worst cut, ugliest shape sail I have ever seen. I also sail a 90' replica Spanish galleon and with the Precision main, my boat would have had trouble pointing higher than that 16th century square rigger. So not much joy in the Precision experience on that occasion. I failed to make my departure date and fortunately it's a downwind sail from San Diego to Hawaii so the crappy cut of the sail didn't matter much (though from that point on it sure did).

Upon return I ended up having the sail recut at the local Ulman loft and it's been pretty serviceable since. But when it comes time to get another sail, I would rather get a sail locally or at least factor in a $1000 immediate recut by a local loft added to whatever price is quoted by Precision. That might still be competitive pricing, and if you're prepared for it, less irritating when expectations don't pan out.
squarerigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2023, 13:39   #20

Boat: Swallowed the anchor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo2010 View Post

Precision uses several different lofts in China. Some are better than others. I bought 2 sails from them at the same time but with different fabrics and construction. They were made in different lofts. The main was good but the headsail was not made to the same level of quality.

I've found that Rolly Tasker sails are an excellent value with above-average quality.
kenbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2023, 07:51   #21

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo2010 View Post

I went to a local loft near me and checked out several different sailcloths from different manufacturers in several cloth weights. Unless you work with this stuff daily I think you are wasting your time. It all looks and feels very similar and there is no way to determine which will hold sail shape longer or resist UV damage longer. I'm going with Precision Sails because I don't need the service level of a local loft (measurements, installation, sailcloth samples, etc) and I'll take advantage of the lower price.
GSpencerCat30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2023, 09:23   #22

Boat: Jeanneau 419

I think u miss my point, I asked for samlple which could have been provided.
Rather than accommodate my request they pass on $13,000 order.

That tells U something about the way they do biz.
Jimbo2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2023, 10:08   #23

Boat: Catalina 30

Nope, got the point. You are asking a company that offers a lower level of service at a lower price to provide a service that is available by a higher service company at a higher price. (I know, I know you ship from overseas and it's not expensive)

I run a company with a go-to-market strategy that provides a lower-priced product with a DIY installation. I constantly have to push back on requests that are outside of our service level to ensure profitability is maintained.

My point... I don't think getting samples of sailcloth is going to help you make a better buying decision. If it's a deal breaker, say "Thank you I think I'll go with a company that offers that level of service".
GSpencerCat30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sails