Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2019, 18:29   #271

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Preventer Rigging -- Lessons from the Platino Disaster

Been thinking about this thread and all the discussion of dealing with a boom. Just came in from a trip, and in the first day the wind went from 5-10 kts to 25 gusts to 30, in a few miles with steep short period 4-6’ swells. I saw it coming so I furled the main. I turned and broad reached for a different anchorage and with the jib I was still doing 6 -7 knots easily with plenty of comfortable control. Never in a million years would I have wanted the main up at all. These days if it is over 15 it’s and I am running or broad reaching, no main. Works for my little boat, but I’d do the same if I had a bigger boat. Point being that cruising you may find your main offers little in running except a big annoying hazard.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 18:38   #272

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46

Gybing by mistake. Hmm. Never done that nor broken anything. Except as crew on an Etchells when the gooseneck fitting blew out. Or on my sloop when the gooseneck fitting bolt backed out and the gooseneck snapped going up wind. Oh yes that uncontrolled gynecology in the north channel near Rathlin. A year later I found out the gooseneck casting was cracked.
And all this with competent experienced crew.
What a nightmare scenario. Makes me rethink preventers and care for sure. Even though I can and could pick up my booms easily.
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 21:03   #273

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Been thinking about this thread and all the discussion of dealing with a boom. Just came in from a trip, and in the first day the wind went from 5-10 kts to 25 gusts to 30, in a few miles with steep short period 4-6’ swells. I saw it coming so I furled the main. I turned and broad reached for a different anchorage and with the jib I was still doing 6 -7 knots easily with plenty of comfortable control. Never in a million years would I have wanted the main up at all. These days if it is over 15 it’s and I am running or broad reaching, no main. Works for my little boat, but I’d do the same if I had a bigger boat. Point being that cruising you may find your main offers little in running except a big annoying hazard.
That’s entirely true. Just out of Kaikoura a few months back we were on a broad reach in 10kts and suddenly a steady 40kts piped up, no warning nor forecast. With main straight down and probably no more than 10-15% of the Genoa area out we were storming along at 9kts+. I saw no reason to have any more sail out than that.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 07:47   #274

Boat: Whitby 55

I am late to this thread and haven't read all 19 pages yet but one thing I don't see mentioned here is that this happened near NZ. That area is know for large cross swell breaking preventers and travelers. I can see how with the main up the wind doesn't have enough power to hold the boom against the shrouds due to the powerful side swells. Swells there are more powerful than the wind.

With that said, I use a preventer tied to the middle of the boom....just a 7/16th double braid rope led to the midshipmen cleat but do not let the boom out as far. I have back winded it a few times with no problems. Just ease the line out and re-jybe the boat.

Also as others have said, when you are out there, tired, scared, sea-sick on a boat being thrown about taking all your energy just to stand and hold on. NZ seas are not to be taken lightly. What you can do in normal ssas you can't do there.
FranklinGray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 09:42   #275

Boat: Whitby 55

In seas with cross swell, many sailors prefer to have out at least some main to stable the boat. A stable boat is safer than a rolling boat.
FranklinGray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 16:35   #276

Boat: Outremer 55L

For those who are interested, the particular features of the passage between NZ and the S Pacific that cause problems is in the first (or last, going the other way) 300-500 miles north of NZ. It’s called the ‘dangerous middle’. It’s one of the reasons that NZ introduced their Cat 1 certificate for NZ boats and crews. Though the Platino disaster is an example of the inadequacy of regulation in the face of complacency. It’s also a reason why NZ-designed cruising sail boats are optimised for sailing.

There’s the primary E quarter swell from the trades with a secondary W quarter swell coming out of the Tasman Sea. Layered on top of that is a N quarter swell from any recent tropical depression.

What makes the cross-swells difficult is the Three Kings Ridge heading north 300 miles from the northern most point of NZ, rising up to 300m depth with 3000-4000m on either side.

3-6 m swells with 2-4 m cross swells are generally just fine in the open ocean. With the shallowing and especially if significant added wind energy (30 knots plus) the swells stand up and shorten their period dramatically. Hence the need to time your passage carefully and pay especial attention to transiting the dangerous middle.

Heading north, it’s the beginning of the passage so plan your departure generally on the back of a low.

Heading south, you’re depending on a long range forecast. Boats will often stage from Minerva Reefs to shorten the distance/time. Regardless of whether you’re coming from Tonga or New Caledonia, aim for a point just north of the Three Kings Ridge, slightly west of due north from Cape Reinga.

You’re hooped if you get a SE (low pressure system passing through) but way more likely in late October/early November is NE/E from the summer high located to the NE of NZ. Oftentimes you can get a strong SW from the low sitting in the central Tasman Sea, which is butted up against the summer high. In either case, expect power close reaching with relatively steep and breaking waves on top of confused swells.
fxykty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 18:09   #277

"Perfect Planning Prevents P..s Poor Performance".
Tattoo on eyeballs ! 6P's.
No PLAN, regardless of sea miles etc, is planning to fail.
Sadly, the best experience/brains trust on board had their world rocked, HARD and DEADLY,....NO PLAN.
Yoty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2019, 09:18   #278

Hi all, been following this interesting thread. I recently spotted this Youtube video about a unique [at least to me] type of preventer system which seems to remove the issue of running the preventer line all the way to the bow and back to the cockpit and also allows the boom to rise a bit, to ease off during a gust if the vang is not pulling downward hard.

I haven't done a force analysis on this system yet; I have a bit of an initial gut feeling that the load onto the gooseneck might become significant as the taughtness of the preventer appears to be directly in line with the boom, and not like a bow mounted preventer line which provides for a more wide angle from the boom end vectoring the pull forward from the boom and not directly into the gooseneck. Please give that consideration in your analysis and reasoning.

What are your impressions and thoughts of this scheme of preventer? Seeking guidance and knowledgeable perspectives.

All the best.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2019, 09:29   #279

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
Hi all, been following this interesting thread. I recently spotted this Youtube video about a unique [at least to me] type of preventer system which seems to remove the issue of running the preventer line all the way to the bow and back to the cockpit and also allows the boom to rise a bit, to ease off during a gust if the vang is not pulling downward hard.

I haven't done a force analysis on this system yet; I have a bit of an initial gut feeling that the load onto the gooseneck might become significant as the taughtness of the preventer appears to be directly in line with the boom, and not like a bow mounted preventer line which provides for a more wide angle from the boom end vectoring the pull forward from the boom and not directly into the gooseneck. Please give that consideration in your analysis and reasoning.

What are your impressions and thoughts of this scheme of preventer? Seeking guidance and knowledgeable perspectives.

All the best.

You can do a "force analysis" in your mind very easily. Can you picture "lever arm" in your mind?

I could break that with one hand on the end of the boom. That's the silliest piece of rigging I've ever seen.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2019, 09:59   #280

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
You can do a "force analysis" in your mind very easily. Can you picture "lever arm" in your mind?

I could break that with one hand on the end of the boom. That's the silliest piece of rigging I've ever seen.
Thanks Dockhead for your quick and reasoned reply. So my gut sense was properly alerting, not unlike the Platino Disaster then awaiting to happen again. The tension load on the fairleads mounted to the mast and likewise to the car on the boom and to the gooseneck and each of those components mounting to the mast could be immense. Best have some strong backing plates inside the mast and inside the boom so as to allow the compression of the fairlead load pulled by the roped towards the boom and the load on the boom towards the gooseneck to be sustainable. Otherwise I could see the compression axial load through the boom and mast to be collapsing.
Basically it appears to provide for a doubling of the load of the wind into those components but limited to those components and the line and cam clutch. If those components and their mounts are robust and the boom has solid compression strength then perhaps the system is viable. Definitely requires a thorough force and component strength analysis.

I'll give that it certainly is simple and uncluttering which would lend to it being readily used whereas other systems require more action and thus may not be deployed. Better to have a deployed preventer than no preventer just so long as the system is designed to prevent the preventer from becoming destructive in its own regard.

So maybe this is anything but Sail Safe as their brand name implies, or if well built it could be quite safe.

I perceive that any preventer system should also be backed up with a robust boom brake system.

Regards.
Old 15-08-2019, 10:09   #281

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
Thanks Dockhead for your quick and reasoned reply. So my gut sense was properly alerting, not unlike the Platino Disaster then awaiting to happen again. The tension load on the fairleads mounted to the mast and likewise to the car on the boom and to the gooseneck and each of those components mounting to the mast could be immense. Best have some strong backing plates inside the mast and inside the boom so as to allow the compression of the fairlead load pulled by the roped towards the boom and the load on the boom towards the gooseneck to be sustainable. Otherwise I could see the compression axial load through the boom and mast to be collapsing.
Basically it appears to provide for a doubling of the load of the wind into those components but limited to those components and the line and cam clutch. If those components and their mounts are robust and the boom has solid compression strength then perhaps the system is viable. Definitely requires a thorough force and component strength analysis.

I'll give that it certainly is simple and uncluttering which would lend to it being readily used whereas other systems require more action and thus may not be deployed. Better to have a deployed preventer than no preventer just so long as the system is designed to prevent the preventer from becoming destructive in its own regard.

So maybe this is anything but Sail Safe as their brand name implies, or if well built it could be quite safe.

I perceive that any preventer system should also be backed up with a robust boom brake system.

Regards.

If those angles would only double the loads, the system would work.

But it's vastly more than double:

Click image for larger version

Name:	platinopreventertable.PNG
Views:	111
Size:	325.8 KB
ID:	197914

The angle is only a couple of degrees. If someone came up with that crazy piece of rigging for the very purpose of breaking the gooseneck and twisting or ripping the mast up, you would would say that it was well designed for the purpose.

No amount of backing plates or whatever could make that work as a preventer. It's exactly the same error as the design of the Platino preventer, except even worse
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2019, 10:17   #282

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
If those angles would only double the loads, the system would work.

But it's vastly more than double:

Attachment 197914

The angle is only a couple of degrees. If someone came up with that crazy piece of rigging for the very purpose of breaking the gooseneck and twisting or ripping the mast up, you would would say that it was well designed for the purpose.

No amount of backing plates or whatever could make that work as a preventer. It's exactly the same error as the design of the Platino preventer, except even worse
Got it now. I am clearly being slow witted this morning.

So scratch that system unless one wished to have their by a KaBoom.
Old 15-08-2019, 10:20   #283

Boat: Tayana 58 DS

Back of the envelope static analysis for a backwinded main of 100m^2 in 35kts.

The force on the sail would be as follows:

100 m^2 [sail size] * (1.229 kg/m^3) [density of air] * ( (35 knots) * (0.5 m/sec/knot))^2 * 0.102kg-f/Newton= 3.8kg-f.

Assuming that CE for the (reefed to 100 m^2) sail is 2 meters aft on a 7meter boom, and that the preventer line is around a mast of 1/10meter radius, that would multiply the force by 20x.

Thus the preventer line in that scenario would experience approximately 75kg static load. (Of course, dynamic loads could be much higher)

Even a static analysis shows they're going to need a stronger line, much stronger attachment points and clutch. They're off by 1-2 orders of magnitude.
accomplice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2019, 10:26   #284

Quote:
Originally Posted by accomplice View Post
Back of the envelope static analysis for a backwinded main of 100m^2 in 35kts.

The force on the sail would be as follows:

100 m^2 [sail size] * (1.229 kg/m^3) [density of air] * ( (35 knots) * (0.5 m/sec/knot))^2 * 0.102kg-f/Newton= 3.8kg-f.

Assuming that CE for the (reefed to 100 m^2) sail is 2 meters aft on a 7meter boom, and that the preventer line is around a mast of 1/10meter radius, that would multiply the force by 20x.

Thus the preventer line in that scenario would experience approximately 75kg static load. (Of course, dynamic loads could be much higher)

Even a static analysis shows they're going to need a stronger line, much stronger attachment points and clutch. They're off by 1-2 orders of magnitude.
Ah, but then what's an added zero or two.

Whoa, that much more than nothing, Who Knew!

Thanks much for the analysis. Great envelope, far better than the napkin the system was apparently drawn up on.
Old 15-08-2019, 15:22   #285

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Looks like great way to slice your mast apart at the gooseneck. Any force applied at the end of the boom would be multiplied so many times at the mast fitting I would agree with Dockhead: a decent shove even by hand would likely damage something quite significant. If they sell any of these, expect them to come up in maritime reports in the future.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rigging