Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2022, 10:57   #16

Boat: 1999 Hunter 410
Re: Problem with windvane steering.

Yes, totally agree. But what I cannot picture is the oar swinging with it attached. Wouldn't that connection at the pin also want to swing and in doing so backfeed that motion to the vane.
I am also trying to imagine how the swing would have a stop point. On a windvane with bevel gears the pendulum oar swings over something like 30 degrees for course correction and stops there because the oar is straight and waiting for the correction at which point the vane goes upright inputting twist to bring the oar and helm to centerline.
IDK....and why is that fitting broken?
Windpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 21:47   #17

Hello,

interesting responses, perhaps a few more pictures may help?

Dolphin24.org - A Website For Dolphin Owners and Others Interested in this Classic Design

I wondered what had happened to Bluegum. Some more history of that nice little S&S 24 (Dolphin) including a lot of re-build pictures.

Dolphin24.org - A Website For Dolphin Owners and Others Interested inthis Classic Design

Also a previous owner posted some YT videos called FiveOn24, of which the attached picture is a screenshot from.

It looks to me that the broken rod connects to the front of the pendulum as previous people have said. Perhaps the pendulum also has a pivot (like a spade rudder) and the broken rod behaves like a tiller extension to change the angle of attack and then the pendulum swings to the side.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bluegum-ss.png
Views:	33
Size:	368.4 KB
ID:	264328  
tanngrisnir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 03:41   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windpilot View Post
Yes, totally agree. But what I cannot picture is the oar swinging with it attached. Wouldn't that connection at the pin also want to swing and in doing so backfeed that motion to the vane.
I am also trying to imagine how the swing would have a stop point. On a windvane with bevel gears the pendulum oar swings over something like 30 degrees for course correction and stops there because the oar is straight and waiting for the correction at which point the vane goes upright inputting twist to bring the oar and helm to centerline.
IDK....and why is that fitting broken?
My best guess on ghat is that the vertical stainless bar rises to a pivot point where it connects to a second vertical bar that goes to the air vane base. This intermediate pivot point is what allows the ss rods to swing with the oar.

Best guess.

If something inhibited that pivot then the broken bit might be broken. Lots of force there.
hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 03:50   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

OR we could all be wrong?

One of the odd things is the number of vertical bars or shafts coming up from the oar.

An aries has 1, this gear appears to have 4.

The aries is really 2 coaxial shafts; inner that swings and outer that rotates to cause the swing.

And this oar pivots, so that is 3. Perhaps the broken piece we are concentrating on is the pivot actuator? I don’t think so because if the wind vane ss rod attachments. But who knows??? Lots going in here, not all completely clear.
hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2022, 11:28   #20

You are correct. The piece in your hand has a spring loaded locking mechanism to attach to the exposed ball. You should grasp the stainless barrel and then the stainless mechanism and pull back on the mechanism to allow you to insert the ball. The spring loaded mechanism will then enclose the ball to lock it in place. Very much like old drag link connections.
classicone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2022, 11:33   #21

the link in your hand pivots the servo rudder which powers the swinging mechanism. The end of the link has a spring mechanism to lock the ball on the lower part into the socket in the link in your hand. Very simple. Sleeve may be to be loosened with penetrant to move. It should move freely and be held in the lock position by spring action only.
classicone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steering, wind, windvane