Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2023, 10:58   #1

Boat: Several
Profurl 290 broken?

I am having a bit of headache with a older Profurl unit in a boat that i recently bought. I am assuming that it is an older 290. As the foil sections are 29mm in width.

The issue is that whenever i apply any amount of halyard tension, the drum and bearings lift out of the base (?), see pics. I had imagines that there would have been a some kind of locking ring inside that base, but no... what on earth has gone wrong with the unit.

Also, is the grease really supposed to have such dark brown colour? I've understood that Profurls are sealed units and not to be opened by users.

Any help appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20230715_203917.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	396.2 KB
ID:	278227   Click image for larger version

Name:	20230715_203744.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	400.9 KB
ID:	278228  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20230715_204143.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	396.7 KB
ID:	278229  
baccara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2023, 11:02   #2
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: Profurl 290 broken?

Quote:
Originally Posted by baccara View Post
I am having a bit of headache with a older Profurl unit in a boat that i recently bought. I am assuming that it is an older 290. As the foil sections are 29mm in width.

The issue is that whenever i apply any amount of halyard tension, the drum and bearings lift out of the base (?), see pics. I had imagines that there would have been a some kind of locking ring inside that base, but no... what on earth has gone wrong with the unit.

Also, is the grease really supposed to have such dark brown colour? I've understood that Profurls are sealed units and not to be opened by users.

Any help appreciated!
Take diagram from the manual and investigate. It seems large C-clips are broken.

There are reports of ruined units after users damage them while trying to setor remove these C-clips. You need a special, large tool for this.

When you search you will find lots of info.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2023, 11:50   #3

Boat: Several
Re: Profurl 290 broken?

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Take diagram from the manual and investigate. It seems large C-clips are broken.

There are reports of ruined units after users damage them while trying to setor remove these C-clips. You need a special, large tool for this.

When you search you will find lots of info.
Thanks, it seems that the unit might be old N31 model, to which Profurl does not supply sparea anymore. Other sources have parts for the drum a, circlips and all, so all is not lost, yet...

It's just that i cannot find the old, presumably broken clip anywhere... i cannot understand how anyone could've sailed with a genoa that has some 50kg (?) of halyard tension. With that amount of force we've got a liftoff ...
baccara is offline   Reply With Quote