Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-12-2016, 16:37   #1

Boat: Tayana FD-12
Profurl foils increasing wire

Hi, I currently have N31 on an 8mm wire and NC42 on an 11 mm wire 1x19 wire. It turns out my standing rig is not appropriately sized. I will most likley need to go with 1/2" maybe even 9/16" for wire size. As it stands that wire will not fit the current inserts. How are the foil joining elements and those platic inserts specified? Am I going to be able to keep these foils? Do people go without the plastic insers?
phorvati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2016, 16:53   #2

Re: Profurl foils increasing wire

Don't know exactly about your case, but my profurl is for 3/8" wire. My wire is 7/16", so I just ran a 7/16" drill through the insert.
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2016, 09:19   #3

here are plastic and aluminum inserts. I could remove plastic inserts and that would leave me with the diameter needed to run larger wire. Wire would likely chafe aluminum. So i need some sort of plastic protection.
What exactly did you drill out and how? Its not easy to keep the plastic inserts together in order to oversize inner diameter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	inserts.png
Views:	187
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	138445  
Old 24-12-2016, 09:27   #4

You cant get the proper size inserts?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2016, 09:58   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Laurent Giles Salar 40

The profurl components are impossible to obtain. I tried for a year to obtain a replacement joiner piece. You're stuck with modifying what you have or manufacturing what you need. Since the inserts function as a "bearing", making the foils easier to turn on the wire, I don't see being able to do without them
chris07732 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2016, 10:11   #6

I didn't find anywhere that profurl specifies the appropriateness of sizes. I can actually get the part through online vendors that happen to have stock. Number 00051 for N31.
In the part diagram for NC32 there are no options to have various wire diameters for NC32. N31 is not longer supported by Profurl.
Old 24-12-2016, 10:48   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorvati View Post
here are plastic and aluminum inserts. I could remove plastic inserts and that would leave me with the diameter needed to run larger wire. Wire would likely chafe aluminum. So i need some sort of plastic protection.
What exactly did you drill out and how? Its not easy to keep the plastic inserts together in order to oversize inner diameter.

I just drilled out the insert. It was pretty easy, but I don't remember if just held them together or taped them together. It worked well.
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2016, 13:09   #8

Thanks, we'll try it. They are all apart. I'm in the process of replacing the bearings amd seals which is going well. There is a thread on this forum somewhere on that as well. Also I ended up drilling out and tapping to 1/4-28 all the set screws. They were seized, as were the bearrings.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 24-12-2016, 13:17   #9

That sounds like a lot of wire for a forty footer....
olaf hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2016, 08:57   #10

phorvati

[Hi, I currently have N31 on an 8mm wire and NC42 on an 11 mm wire 1x19 wire.
It turns out my standing rig is not appropriately sized. I will most likely need to go with 1/2" maybe even 9/16" for wire size. As it stands that wire will not fit the current inserts. How are the foil joining elements and those plastic inserts specified? Am I going to be able to keep these foils? Do people go without the plastic inserts?]

phorvati --- STOP making your self crazy and creating extra work for yourself.

go with 8 and 11 mm dyform wire. the cost differential between 8/11 dyform and 1/2 - 9/16 1x19 will be negligible. the added strength, reduced weight, reduced stretch, with dyform lasting longer than 1x19 will make the rigging stronger and the furlers work more efficiently.

no extra expense on seeking out replacement parts or weakening the plastic inserts by drilling not to mention wasting all that time.

this is the smart move

captain ron
CAPTAINRONBVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2016, 11:26   #11

Boat: 28 bristol channel cutter

i found inserts from these guys might give them
a try
Mauri Pro Sailing
doug cusick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2016, 11:35   #12

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

Don't know anything about this kit but what would worry me is where the whole setup is to light. If the furler is designed for loads that can be handled by 8mm wire are things like the swivels and drums simply going to explode under the forces on a boat requiring 12mm+ wire. Should you be looking at a replacing it with a hydraulic system designed for that size of boat such as the ones they fit on sail training ships?
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2016, 13:11   #13

The correct thing to do is either do the deed with the dyform wire which will give you 20% more in strength
, but you should look at the sail size as you may need to go to a larger unit NC52 or similar.
Rigger Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2016, 07:36   #14

This boat is interesting(Tayana FD-12). Sails are very small. My 38' C&C has larger sails then what this boat had when i bought it. These furlers were on the boat to begin with. I am not questioning the furlers nor am i moving them to a bigger boat. I am going under assumption that the furlers were appropriately sized for their application. N31 for inner forestay and NC42 for a headstay. I am in the process of replacing the standing rig, and I am realizing that the wire diameter is not appropriate, and inconsistent. for instance, V1 is 16mm while the rest of the cap shroud is only at 8mm. I am looking to go with the wire diameter that is more consistent with Skene's book or RM30-based calculations in Riggers Apprentice. Headstay will have a smaller increase in wire diameter, from 11mm to likely 1/2" or 9/16", but Inner forsteay is only at 8mm which is small. Inner forestay is supposed to be sized to carry 25% of the load. I will have to hire a NA or someone who can confirm the numbers for the new standing rig before i buy anything. But here i was hoping that i can keep the furlers as i am already dropping a lot of money on the rig and new chainplates. I will try the drilling route, but I have to converge on the appropriate wire first and then go with Dyform.

Tags
oil