Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-10-2016, 10:07   #1

Proper backstay tension on Sabre 386

Hello all,

I recently purchased a 2007 Sabre 386 and I had a rigging inspection done to make my insurance happy.

I have a hydraulic backstay and the rigger told me the maximum load when fully cranked only reaches 11% of breaking tension. He has advised me that the backstay should be shortened so that unloaded it's at 5% so that it can be cranked up to 15% or higher as conditions require.

Before shortening the stay, I thought i would ask if this sounds right or if there are other considerations that may be unique to the Sabre 386. She's a keel stepped swept back double spreader rig.

Thanks for anyone who may have familiarity with this!
plindheimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2016, 10:56   #2

Boat: Sabre 38
Re: Proper backstay tension on Sabre 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by plindheimer View Post
Hello all,

I recently purchased a 2007 Sabre 386 and I had a rigging inspection done to make my insurance happy.

I have a hydraulic backstay and the rigger told me the maximum load when fully cranked only reaches 11% of breaking tension. He has advised me that the backstay should be shortened so that unloaded it's at 5% so that it can be cranked up to 15% or higher as conditions require.

Before shortening the stay, I thought i would ask if this sounds right or if there are other considerations that may be unique to the Sabre 386. She's a keel stepped swept back double spreader rig.

I don't have an answer, but you should ask the Sabre forum. Someone there might know.

https://beta.groups.yahoo.com/neo/gr...esailboat/info

If no answers here or there, give Sabre an email. I hear they are happy to talk about their sailboats.

s/v Carpe Ventum
1983 Sabre 38
My Intro
fallingeggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2016, 11:24   #3

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by plindheimer View Post
Hello all,

Fractional rig or masthead sloop?
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2016, 11:31   #4

Boat: Sabre 38

Masthead.

s/v Carpe Ventum
1983 Sabre 38
My Intro
fallingeggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 05:02   #5

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingeggs View Post
Masthead.
Then i guess your rigger is probably right, you should see some rake aft with the backstay tensioned , 11% is not much but probably ok, i dont know if your rigger check forestay tension with the backstay at full, and i dont know the angle in your spreaders , sweep back spreaders tend to tension the forestay...
Anyway cutting the wire a inch or 2 and install a stalock or swage terminal is not a big deal.....Cheers.
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 11:35   #6

Boat: 1975 Tartan 41'

Yes, you should be able to tension more than 11%. Of course the tension you run on the backstay is determined by the shape you want in the head sail. When going to weather in a stiff breeze, you will need to crank that backstay up to reduce sag in the the headstay so you can point and flatten the jib. I would consider 25% of breaking strength a minimum capability of your adjuster and wouldn't hurt to be able to go slightly more. I have a turnbuckle above my hydraulic tensioner. It allows course adjustment, but also a backup which was real handy when I blew a seal in the hydraulics while making way to weather in 30+ knts. I was able to get a decent amount of tension back with the turnbuckle even though the hydraulic ram full extended. It allowed me to continue to sail to wind, which I would not have been able to do without the turnbuckle.
BUT Before you go cutting your stay. Check how she sails and how the jib looks. If you have a lot of weather helm, you can shorten the forestay in it's turnbuckle (probably a mechanism within the furler). Shortening the headstay will allow you to get more tension in the backstay. And if you a fair weather sailor, not racing, then 11% may be fine for how you sail.
zstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 13:03   #7

Boat: 1993 Sabre 362 #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingeggs View Post
I don't have an answer, but you should ask the Sabre forum. Someone there might know.

https://beta.groups.yahoo.com/neo/gr...esailboat/info

If no answers here or there, give Sabre an email. I hear they are happy to talk about their sailboats.
Another vote for the Sabre group. Very knowledgeable folks, roughly 1000 of us on the list.

Dave
Dave Lochner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rope, sabre