Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-09-2015, 11:20   #1

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop
Rail Line Hangers

I don't know if this was reinventing the wheel but I finally decided to do something better than securing loose coils to my railings with spare line or shock cord rather then stumble over them. my solution, build a teak belaying pin-type holder. a stainless u-bolt into a short piece of 1/2" teak. the challenge was sourcing the bolts. they generally are sized for pipe (tubes are sized by outside diameter but pipe is sized by inside diameter)so a 1" u-bolt will fit a 1" steel pipe with an outside diameter of 1.5". a nominal 1/2" bolt perfectly fit my 1" railing. total cost $5-6 each. MSC is one supplier who had the right bolts and the time to explain the sizing.
I put 5 on my boat and am sorry I did not get a few more. of course it is more teak to maintain but that's what we love about sailing...isn't it?
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2015, 12:00   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
re: Rail Line Hangers

Could you please post a picture or two. I can't get belaying pins out of my mind and can't quite visualize your system.

Rich

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2015, 13:12   #3

Re: Rail Line Hangers

have pix but don't see how to attach. e-mail me amd I will send. drill 2 holes near bottom of 6"x1/2x1/2 teak dowel spaced 1.5" on centers. u-bolt fits over rail into wood and secured with nuts leaving teak stocking up about 4.5" above the rail.
dave22q@hotmail.com
Old 24-09-2015, 16:25   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave22q View Post
have pix but don't see how to attach
In the Quick Reply box at the bottom of this thread, click on "Go Advanced".
Scroll down to Additional Options
Click on Manage Attachments
Click on Browse
Select file on your computer
Click on Upload
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2015, 04:47   #5

hope this helps
Old 25-09-2015, 07:34   #6

Boat: Beneteau First 42

That's an awful lot of work rather than just doing a coil hitch with the tails of the lines, no? And all of those hard, pointy objects on the rail would be somewhat of a hazard in snotty weather.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2015, 09:00   #7

i can probably drill 2 holes as fast or faster then you make a coil hitch but i only do it once. also 1/2 x 1/2 blunt end fails my definition of 'pointy but thanks for your helpful opinion.
Old 11-10-2015, 16:30   #8

I find it unlikely that you can drill holes faster than someone can throw in a coil hitch and more likely that no one has ever bothered to show you how to make one (one of the many disadvantages of the "Just Do It" approach to learning to sail/boating). The following is how it's done. (The loose tail in the last frame--entitled "Done"--can be passed back through the loop to "lock" the hitch in place.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	One.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	418.5 KB
ID:	110798   Click image for larger version

Name:	Two.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	427.9 KB
ID:	110799  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Three.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	416.3 KB
ID:	110800   Click image for larger version

Name:	Done.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	429.7 KB
ID:	110801  

"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 12-10-2015, 05:16   #9

I would generally not reply to such aggressive arrogance but am curious as to what your posting was attempting to accomplish. Boosting one's self by attempting to put down others is unattractive at best.
Old 14-10-2015, 17:15   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave22q View Post
I would generally not reply to such aggressive arrogance but am curious as to what your posting was attempting to accomplish. Boosting one's self by attempting to put down others is unattractive at best.
Ah... Actually "Dave" I'm not sure where you discern "arrogance". My follow-up to your somewhat acidic retort to my first observation was merely to share a simple, easy, solution to your expressed need based upon 50+ years of experience. If the offering offends you, then ignore it, tho', if so, I submit you may be too sensitive a young man for a venue where one isn't awarded trophies for participation.

Your original post sought accolades for a solution you thought elegant/wise but actually solves a non-problem and creates a hazard in snotty conditions. (Landing on a 1/2" square hardwood peg can and will do serious damage to a face, chest or butt--but don't trust me, trust, oh, say OSHA).) Evidently, not getting accolades from everyone--considering there are many ways to skin a cat, some more simple than others--you were rather miffed (considering your tone which I ignored initially but here not.).

N'any case, have at it your way. Different ships, different long-splices, eh? (But do punch up the "Ignor" button on me to spare yourself any further exposure to my offerings/observations, eh?.)

Here Homer nods...
Old 15-10-2015, 16:42   #11

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Percieved arrogance aside, I prefer HyLyte's approach. I just throw a clove hitch or rolling hitch on the rail minus his finishing slip. Quick, easy, and lines can be hung anywhere, not just where there is hardware. A clove hitch or rolling hitch can be undone quickly by just pulling the overlapping line section of the hitch.

Personally, I think belaying pins and pin rails are more appropriate to traditional vessels where you have a LOT of control lines to manage.

Regarless, there is no right or wrong answer here, just personal preference.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2015, 17:15   #12
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Each to their own ..so simple discussion on preference

I agree with beliezesailor assessment.

Clean, versatile and less of a potential maintenance issue of drilling openings in a stainless tube.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2015, 17:44   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
That's an awful lot of work rather than just doing a coil hitch with the tails of the lines, no? And all of those hard, pointy objects on the rail would be somewhat of a hazard in snotty weather.
Yup, so much easier to learn to tie a few knots.

I hear the same thing about those stupid-to-me sheet bags on the back of cockpits. What a waste of good canvas!
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote