Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2018, 15:35   #16

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Rain down the mast

Some years ago I fabricated a mast boot from 6 mm (1/4") wet suit material, and it was fairly easy to make and very effective at sealing out rainwater.

The material is available from dive shops as is the glue (Black Magic was the brand I used). One cuts out the shape required and then edge-glues the seam after wrapping it around the mast. Hose clamps at top and bottom... the kinda squishy material conforms well to the mast shape for an effective seal without sealant being needed.

A UV cover of canvas will extend it's life span.

Oh... if your mast has a luff groove or other sail track that interrupts the shape, filling it with sealant or epoxy bog is needed, too.

Jim
Old 04-12-2018, 18:18   #17

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjim View Post
No in-mast furling.

I literally watched the water running down the mast and right past the boot. It didn't seem to have any impact on the flow of the water.

Perhaps putting some butyl tape under the hose clamp will provide some resistance.

Research Spartite. It's designed to replace mast wedges AND seal the mast partners from leaks. Not trying to beat a dead horse, but I've tried mast boot tape, inner tubes, mast boots themselves, butyl tape. Still had leaks. This stuff, actually the McMaster Carr version, solved all my leaking problems
Souzag818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 18:24   #18
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Rain down the mast

Check your hose clamps round the boot are still working.. they are known to give but appear sound as the teeth slowly erode.

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 19:31   #19

Boat: 1979 O'Day 28

Bigjim if the water running in around your mast boot you need a new one. Take off whatever is there now and follow any of the various suggestions. When I bought my boat the rain ran in like a waterfall. I got an old truck tire inner tube and created a mast boot. Filled the sail track and seam around the mast with silicone and then covered it with white vinyl to keep the sun off. That was nine years ago. No water since. It takes time and attention to detail but our boat is dry. Patching a poorly done boot is wasted effort. Redo it.
billdre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 20:13   #20

Boat: Columbia 10.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Some years ago I fabricated a mast boot from 6 mm (1/4") wet suit material, and it was fairly easy to make and very effective at sealing out rainwater.

The material is available from dive shops as is the glue (Black Magic was the brand I used). One cuts out the shape required and then edge-glues the seam after wrapping it around the mast. Hose clamps at top and bottom... the kinda squishy material conforms well to the mast shape for an effective seal without sealant being needed.

A UV cover of canvas will extend it's life span.

Oh... if your mast has a luff groove or other sail track that interrupts the shape, filling it with sealant or epoxy bog is needed, too.

Jim
That sounds like a good idea.
Bigjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 20:15   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souzag818 View Post
Research Spartite. It's designed to replace mast wedges AND seal the mast partners from leaks. Not trying to beat a dead horse, but I've tried mast boot tape, inner tubes, mast boots themselves, butyl tape. Still had leaks. This stuff, actually the McMaster Carr version, solved all my leaking problems
I'll take a look. Thanks
Old 05-12-2018, 04:25   #22

Boat: 1980 Pacific International Marine 41.5

Quote:
I'll take a look. Thanks
If your not pulling the mast, a temporary fix is to pump 4000/4200 around the top seam of the mast boot. Likely where water will be intruding.

I launched my boat and moved aboard. Due to winter setting in I havent had time to redo my boot properly yet so I just pumped the top full.

I will be doing the truck tire method, but before that i will be using a toilet seal wax ring to seal the hole up.
chowdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 15:43   #23

Boat: Beneteau 40.7

My boat has a mast stepped on a plate attached to a beam just under the cabin sole.
I was getting considerable water in the bilge via the inside of the mast because of the ten or so cutouts in the mast, several of which were facing toward the rainstorm of the day. The water accumulated in the bilge compartment just aft of the mast. With enough rain that compartment, and the next, overflowed to the area of the automatic bilge pump, which required that 5 gallons flowed into the area before the pump started. I moved the float switch and pickup the the first compartment where water collects. Now, when it rains, the first few inches of water activate the pump and most of my bilge is now dry.
Another thought is to fill the mast with spray-in foam insulation just above the deck level and then add a weep hole just above the foam, probably in the luff groove. This would have to be done the mast pulled.
thunderhoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 21:10   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderhoof View Post
My boat has a mast stepped on a plate attached to a beam just under the cabin sole.
I was getting considerable water in the bilge via the inside of the mast because of the ten or so cutouts in the mast, several of which were facing toward the rainstorm of the day. The water accumulated in the bilge compartment just aft of the mast. With enough rain that compartment, and the next, overflowed to the area of the automatic bilge pump, which required that 5 gallons flowed into the area before the pump started. I moved the float switch and pickup the the first compartment where water collects. Now, when it rains, the first few inches of water activate the pump and most of my bilge is now dry.
Another thought is to fill the mast with spray-in foam insulation just above the deck level and then add a weep hole just above the foam, probably in the luff groove. This would have to be done the mast pulled.
STOP, don't fill your mast with expanding foam! Never! That would be horrible.
Old 06-12-2018, 04:12   #25

Boat: Heritage West Indies 36

I use Spartite. Love it. No leaks, better support for the mast and if you prep the surface really well before the initial install it makes pulling the mast out and sticking it back in again a doddle. It’s not super cheap but it lasts forever and only has to be done once if you do it well. Just requires a single bead of silicone around the edge every time you stick the mast back in the boat.
DefinitelyMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 19:31   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefinitelyMe View Post
I use Spartite. Love it. No leaks, better support for the mast and if you prep the surface really well before the initial install it makes pulling the mast out and sticking it back in again a doddle. It’s not super cheap but it lasts forever and only has to be done once if you do it well. Just requires a single bead of silicone around the edge every time you stick the mast back in the boat.
I've looked it up and West Marine has it in stock. I think I'll go with this. The only thing I'm concerned with is that it is below freezing now, so I may need to wait until we get some warmer days.
Old 09-12-2018, 10:16   #27

This makes me think that sealing the ends of the cable sheathing should be SOP, 5200 and shrink tubing rather than just shrink tubing.
kurtsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 17:27   #28

Boat: Adams 28, 8.7m

Your mast leaks because, like most of the World you use a method of stepping which was developed hundreds of years ago. Get with it, and, like mine it cannot leak. 25yrs and I have cobwebs in the base of the mast. I am not posting on how because it unleashes a tirade of crazy responses. Go to Fremantle and wander around a marina and all will be revealed. Bits of stick, cloth and string are out of date. I do get moisture down below. On my beer can. email Fremantle yacht clubs and mention bridges. Listen to what they have to say, but forget about the bridges bit. The brilliance of the idea as a leak free mast stepping method is not recognised, they want to go under bridges.
Patrigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2018, 08:52   #29

Boat: Island Packet 349

Quote:
STOP, don't fill your mast with expanding foam! Never! That would be horrible.
Will you explain why it would be horrible, please?
Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2018, 09:07   #30

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Horizons View Post
Will you explain why it would be horrible, please?

Think ahead, to future work (additions of lights/sensors or repair of existing). How much fun would that be with a foam plug 10’ up the mast from the bottom?
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast