Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2008, 23:12   #1

Re-rigging cost

Hi, I'm in the UK and about to buy a Rival 41 sloop which needs standing rigging replaced. Before I make my offer, and anyone tell me roughly how much I will probably need to budget for the replacement of the rigging?
Brian Owen
bg9208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2008, 04:09   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
how much I will probably need to budget for the replacement of the rigging?
Brian,

There are a lot of items that would be examined in a replacement of standing rigging. Not everything may require replacing. For example new chain plates might be needed or not. If included the plates might set you back $700 US. The cost to remove the old ones and put the new ones in is a lot of labor and varies a great deal. Quotes I have had for just the wire include replacement about 1/2 the total price is the wire and the other the labor plus extra money for the fittings on each end are added depending on what type you choose. If you need insulators for an SSB antenna that adds a fair amount ($450 US just for the fittings). If you pull the mast you would do some things just because you don't normally pull a mast so it's a great time to take advantage. Any mast or boom issues as well as sheaves need inclusion. When the wire is time to be replaced it isn't always the only thing.

If you consider you may require other items besides standing rigging on a used boat I don't think an Internet estimate for a boat we never saw is really what you want. You really want to know the real price. The error could be a lot of difference. A real riggers survey report will convince both you and the seller that this is a real number not just some number you got from the Internet. If this is the one item you are not sure about then pay for a survey.

I just sold a boat and rigging issues came up. A real rigger came out and all the issues were dismissed totally to the buyers satisfaction. As a seller I'm not going to give in on price just because a buyer "says" the standing rigging needs replacing. If you demonstrate problems then it can be assumed any buyer could do the same. You can then negotiate honestly and with assurance you are doing it knowing the real problems and costs. The deal you make then follows with realistic costs and you know what the finished boat will cost.

You can't purchase the boat making replacement of the rigging a contingency. If that is expected then you say "call me after it's replaced" and then go home and wait for the call. You need to know the real price to close on the purchase now.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2008, 05:14   #3

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
I just replaced the rigging on my 45 ft boat for about $6,000. I did the work myself, (probably saved $3,000), but the rigging was a size up from a 41 ft boat (maybe a 41 ft rig would have been $4,000), and I did it in the USA (everything in the UK is at least 50% more expensive). I would imagine you should budget L3,000 for do-it yourself and L5,000 to have it done.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 19:49   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
I just replaced the rigging on my 45 ft boat for about $6,000. I did the work myself, (probably saved $3,000), but the rigging was a size up from a 41 ft boat (maybe a 41 ft rig would have been $4,000), and I did it in the USA (everything in the UK is at least 50% more expensive). I would imagine you should budget L3,000 for do-it yourself and L5,000 to have it done.
The size of the yacht does not necessarily determine what size the rigging should be.
To say that I have a 45’ boat therefore a 41’ boat would be less expensive would be incorrect.
The RM of the boat determines it. IE displacement, beam draft, ballast, hull form etc.
Fard12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rigging