Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2014, 18:47   #31
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Really short dyneema with two eye splices

^^ The figure 8 loop and the water bowline are two good "non-slip" loops for dyneema. But they do both cut the rope strength by half (unlike a spliced loop). As you say, the regular Bowline will slip at even lower loads.

But the figure 8 stopper (rather than loop) does slip before the dyneema breaks. In fact, none of the regular stopper knots are "non-slip". The EStar stopper, socially designed for dyneema, was the only stopper I tested which was no-slip.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 10:15   #32

I think I saw mention of cold weather strength loss, is this significant? Do I need to remove everything from the boat if temperatures are to reach something like 0 degrees farenheit?
sully75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 12:13   #33

Boat: PT-11

Isn't this for a 12" tether? Isn't all this a bit of overkill? How much momentum are you going to generate over 12"? I dont think you'll get any where near the reduced breaking strength of that line even with just a knot in it.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 12:21   #34
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

^^ Cold will not reduce Dyneema strength. Commercial fishing uses this routinely in very cold water. Though sub-zero with stiffen it and could cause trouble, it will not hurt it unless stressed at the same time.

Though I have posted many times on energy absorption, and have ocasionally criticized Dyneema for tethers, a tether this short will not generate dangerous forces because the human body will deform, easily absorbing them. Climbers have proven this. It is ONLY when the tethers reach ~ 2' (pure vertical drop against rigid anchor point-->4' fr horizontal throws) that the danger becomes real. For a 1' tether there is no impact risk, and the stretch of nylon webbing would not amount to much.
Old 09-11-2014, 01:21   #35

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Yeah, one could take a longer piece of line, & then do it like they do with the Spectra "turnbuckles" on synthetic rigging. Going crazy with the hitches on it. Kinda' doubt it'd break.
Though I kinda' think we turned this dead horse into pulp, after beating on it so much. I mean it's a tether, not rocket science.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVNeko View Post
Isn't this for a 12" tether? Isn't all this a bit of overkill? How much momentum are you going to generate over 12"? I dont think you'll get any where near the reduced breaking strength of that line even with just a knot in it.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dyneema