Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2022, 07:47   #16

Re: Rebraiding for Brummel splice in 12-strand dyneema?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
Under no circumstances should you do multiple brummels--you might as well just tie granny knots, wrap then in duct tape, and hope for the best.
Benz, curious what experiences you have had with multiple brummels?

My testing suggested that one lock was around 40-50% (so ballpark knot strength), but if you stacked 5 or so locks back to back you could get to 80% (without a bury) which is certainly better than a knot.

For most applications brummels (single or multiple) are not the preferred solution, but for a small set of applications, I think they are not the best option but are a not terrible option.
Breaking Waves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 07:32   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaking Waves View Post
Benz, curious what experiences you have had with multiple brummels?

My testing suggested that one lock was around 40-50% (so ballpark knot strength), but if you stacked 5 or so locks back to back you could get to 80% (without a bury) which is certainly better than a knot.

For most applications brummels (single or multiple) are not the preferred solution, but for a small set of applications, I think they are not the best option but are a not terrible option.
I haven't had any, I admit, nor have I tested the multiple brummel: it's just that by the time you do five brummels, you're used up as much line as you would with a short bury that would still be stronger if properly lockstitched.
I don't like the way a brummel distorts the fibers, and I suspect that distortion is part of the reason the multiple brummel can only get to 80% strong. And even then, what happens to the tail?
If you need a really short splice, it's better to do a tuck splice than a bunch of brummels. I did a two-inch-long tuck splice in 5/16" D12, and the line broke elsewhere while the splice remained intact. So it's a viable, full-strength option for a very short splice, and it's not hard to do, just a basic over-one under-one with each strand.
So my granny-knot and duct tape was a little tongue-in-cheek, but the point is there's better options than multiple brummels, or the weaving it in and out several times that another poster suggested.
Old 06-06-2022, 13:56   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
the point is there's better options than multiple brummels, or the weaving it in and out several times.
we agree.

as an aside, the 80% result was with brummels made using both ends, which tends to distort the braid rather less than the technique using only one end, and done carefully on a bench - so that is perhaps a maximum optimistic value.
Breaking Waves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 04:41   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
On large lines (barge towing!) they use a strand from the rope.

For any line you are likely to use on a boat, #1 whipping twine (1 mm) is suitable and has been tested extensively. Not too tight, you don't want to distort the weave. There is practically no load on the stitching. #4 (0.4 mm) twine is enough for smaller sizes.
According to Marlow Rope, #4 [approximate diameter 0.8 mm] waxed polyester whipping twine works well, for ropes in the 3/8 to 3/4" range.
#8 twine is approx. 1.1 mm.

https://www.marlowropes.com/product/whipping-twine

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dyneema, splicing