Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2019, 16:00   #1

Recommended boom brake

I am considering installing a boom brake. saw three options very big price range. which one will do the job?
tachrite
Dutch
Wichard?

My main has 500 Sqf.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A-WICHARD-7150-0002.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	189255   Click image for larger version

Name:	tachrite.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	189257  

Attached Images

B_Hunter45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 16:47   #2

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat
Re: Recommended boom brake

We have both the Walder and the Wichard models.... The Walder wins in everyway vs the ladder design of the Wichard (I'd think a figure 8 would be the same). You have way more control over the booms breaking and it allows you to lock it in position when the boom is outboard of the rail.

But I think it's the way you install the Walder that gives it the leg up. If you were to install the figure-8 like you do the Walder (with a winch or block and tackle), you'd have something similar for a lot less money.

Matt
Old 02-04-2019, 18:09   #3

Boat: Passport 40

Just keep in mind the angle of attack regarding cabintop height. In my boat (a 1985 Passport 40), boombrakes really don't work because of the height of the cabin top and the points where you can support the system (where you land your lines). You need to make sure you will be able to pull it off if you have a highish cabin top.
gaucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 06:15   #4

Boat: Beneteau First 42

From your username, I assume you're sailing a Hunter 45. Would that be a Legend (aft cockpit) or the more recent aft cabin/center cockpit boat?
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 15:59   #5

45 DS, furling main.
B_Hunter45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2019, 05:54   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Hunter45 View Post
45 DS, furling main.
We have a brand new, still in the box, Dutchman BB500 that would work on your boat and that we'll let go for $225 plus shipping if you have an interest.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 13-07-2019, 07:45   #7
CLOD

Boat: none

The real question is there a reason to get a Dutchman type for $200 used over a basic Cpt Don's for $55.
Old 13-07-2019, 08:18   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Dutchman is adjustable. Ive one on our 44’er, works fine. I have the control line led to a spare winch so it’s a snap to tighten or loosen. I have a big model, I don’t think it requires the winch, but it was unused and in the exact right spot.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2019, 03:40   #9

Boat: Whiting, 11 metre

Hi Guys, we have a 37ft Whiting and came with a brake but not a purchasable model. If you refer to the following URL it will show you how we run it and as it runs back to beside the helm it can be adjusted for tension or released at will allowing two handed really easy...any questions? regards Brian and Jill
https://www.sail-world.com/Australia...urce=google.au
golly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2019, 05:54   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
We have a brand new, still in the box, Dutchman BB500 that would work on your boat and that we'll let go for $225 plus shipping if you have an interest.

FWIW...

Further to my earlier offering, above, so that there is no confusion, the Dutchman BB500 we're offering has never been mounted. It is new and unused.

I originally ordered this unit to use with a "soft" vang but, between the time I ordered it and the time it arrived, I decided to switch to a solid Garhaurer Vang after seeing one in use on a friend's sister-ship to ours with which made mounting the BB500 somewhat problematic. It got set aside and has been in the back of our spares locker ever since. So, its now available. (FWIW, the Dutchman is quite effective minimizing accidental gybes or having to haul in yards of main sheet and then release for a controlled gybe.)

Tags
boom brake, men