Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2022, 15:28   #16

Boat: Compromis 888 (29ft)
Re: Reconfigure this mainsheet block/cam cleat

I fully agree with StuM. If you need to sheet in hard, the pulling direction is always upwards. You want the sheet to lock in that direction, otherwise your hard labour would have been for nothing. So start with tilting the cam. If that's not enough, choose a longer shackle (the current one needs replacement anyway). Only use Dyneema if the eyes are really smooth, otherwise it will shave through quickly. A bit longer stainless steel shackle is a safer choice in this application.
ilCigno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 18:00   #17

Boat: Sabre 402

As others have mentioned, sheeting in hard you want to pull up. Your force pulling down is limited to your weight. You can't pull down more with more force than your weight - if you try, you will simply lift yourself off the deck and hang there. You can however pull up or across with more force than you weigh, so this may be why the cam is oriented the way it is.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 18:56   #18

Boat: Hanse 348

Moved the cam two notches that were left. Makes it a bit better. If not I will put in a soft shackle.
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 20:10   #19

Boat: Hylas 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbinbi View Post
Interesting. All other cams on the boat you pull up to release and push down into the cam to lock. Though these are not on a block/tackle but rather a cam cleat mounted on the decks. Why on the mainsheet would I want to pull down to release and push up to lock?
One reason to have the main sheet set up to pull-down-to-release is because it can be highly loaded and difficult to release, something you may need to do in a hurry. If this happens, you can hold the tail end of the sheet and step on the line near the cam to force it out.
jt11791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 01:05   #20

Boat: Pearson 10M

Yes the angle of the cam can be adjusted. That should be rather obvious.
I question the angle of the main sheet. Is it connected to the proper point on the boom?
guyrj33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 08:48   #21

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbinbi View Post
Just purchased this boat. See pic for issue. With the current length of the the shackles, it is extremely difficult to release the sheet pulling down. The sheet hits the fiberglass below.

In looking for solutions, It looks like I can
1. Buy longer shackles.
2. If the bolts with allen heads can be removed, I can change the angle of the cam so it is a bit more horizontal. Looks like there are 2 more slots to angle it up.
3. Again if I can take out the bolts, I might be able to turn this over to have the cam release by pulling up, which is what I would want.

There bolts on both sides.

Before I try taking these out and possibly ruining my block set, was hoping that someone else can tell me that it is/isn't possible to do this. It looks possible, just figure it's easier to ask first.

Thanks.
You can run it either way, it's not right or wrong.
Some will tell you that it only works 1 way, because they themselves don't know.

Also , you cannot damage that set up, the most you could do is lose the screws, holding it together.
Experiment, it's adjustable.
Walk around your Marina and look at others set up.
We set up with a downward lock, gravity helps to hold the sheet securing the line in the jaws, as the main sheet is down in the cockpit.
Boatyarddog
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 09:12   #22

Boat: Borrensen BB-10

the cam cleat could be mounted upside down as most of the adjustment holes are not useful. Mounted 180 degrees different you would be pulling down to engage and up to disengage.
Oohla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 09:46   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatyarddog View Post
>>>>>>>>>>>

Some will tell you that it only works 1 way, because they themselves don't know.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Some will tell you it works much better one way than the other because we know, because we've had and used them.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 10:02   #24
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

If the line has sufficient tension that you cannot pull to take pressure off the cams and then release, the purchase is insufficient and the situation is dangerous. You should NOT need to step on the line. Add purchase.

Angling the cleat up is the correct first step. Enough so it will release from a fully hiked position.
Old 07-07-2022, 10:10   #25

Boat: Morgan 382

On my boat, I used a dyneema loop in place of a shackle and raised the block by about a foot and a half. This solved the angle of the cleat, and also positioned it better for me while I was reaching for it from behind the helm.

You could probably flip the cleat over by the look of it. It would look odd with the adjusting holes in the wrong place, but should work. I also did this on my shackle (a schaefer) before the dyneema loop and was happy with it.
Old 07-07-2022, 10:32   #26

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Looks like you have it figured out now but it looked to me like someone grabbed the wrong shackle to reassemble it maybe in getting it ready for sale. It probably had a long D shackle there like Stu mentioned. It would be interesting to try flipping the cleat over, but as you can see the pivot for the cleat is the axle of the sheave, and that won't be the same when you flip it over.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 10:44   #27

It just occurred to me that it may, I say may, be impossible to simply flip the whole block upside down. Why? Because while the picture doesn't seem to show the rest of the block, the way the line are reeved through the block may, I say, may preclude that. Usually in those situations, the smaller blocks are at the top.

The very top of the picture seems to show the attachment of the beginning of the line.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 11:00   #28

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
It just occurred to me that it may, I say may, be impossible to simply flip the whole block upside down. Why? Because while the picture doesn't seem to show the rest of the block, the way the line are reeved through the block may, I say, may preclude that. Usually in those situations, the smaller blocks are at the top.

The very top of the picture seems to show the attachment of the beginning of the line.
Yeah you can't flip the whole block upside down unless you wanted to mount it to the boom. The becket must be up. I was looking at flipping just the mount the cleat is on, which also won't work.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 12:50   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
It's a matter of personal preference, but most experienced sailors prefer it that way.

When you are sheeting in, the line generally runs upwards from the block.
By adjusting your pull angle slightly you can work the line either outside or through the jammer. The latter can be a big help when you are hauling in hard.
Here you say this "[QUOTE=StuM;3649452]It's a matter of personal preference, but most experienced sailors prefer it that way.

But here, rather rudely you say this...("Look, you asked for input, you have receive it from those of us with experience in just this issue. Please don't shoot the messengers.")

It works both ways.
Matter of preference Stu, right?
They in FACT are used both ways.

But You have Your opinion tagged as right, and others as "Plain stupid."
Kinda Rude.
These set ups are used with Vangs as well.
it varies.
BYD
Old 07-07-2022, 12:53   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Some will tell you it works much better one way than the other because we know, because we've had and used them.
I'd have to say ANY Sailor has used these as well.
Boatyarddog