Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2022, 22:00   #1

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
Reef rite furler jammed

Hi all,

I’m heading down to collect a boat that has a jammed furler. The furler is a twenty year old reef rite from NZ on a 44 footer, so about 18 meters long at a guess.

The furler was ok until the boat was left unused for a few years.

I have a day of prep up my sleeve, so which tools would you recommend I bring with me to give me a chance of freeing it up, and any tips on where to look for problems would be welcome too.

Matt
Old 01-02-2022, 21:14   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Reef rite furler jammed

Suspect bearing meltdown. The bearings Reef Rite used to use are commonly available, but they may have got salt in them and rusted together.

You'll probably want to drop the foil to work on it. Probably it will be metric. If it is not at "home", you'll want pretty full mechanic's tools, because you lose too much time going shopping for what you thought you wouldn't need. Probably won't need any wood working tools. (pretty obvious, eh? ;-) )

If you're just looking for a quick impermanent fix, be sure and take Weasel Piss with you, or be prepared to make some up on the spot. (equal parts lacquer thinner or acetone and atf) And be prepared to force it to turn. Bang on it, etc.

You'll need to get someone to take you aloft, too, so bring your own boatswain's chair, or climbing gear.

Ann
Old 01-02-2022, 21:44   #3

Thanks Ann, kinda sounds like the response I got from reef rite this morning....

"Generally they seize because the drain hole in the lower unit is blocked and the bearing seal cavity fills with water and corrodes. I would hazard a guess that this is what has happened. You might be very* lucky and be able to clean the hole out and spray or inject oil into it to get it moving again. But this doesn’t work in most cases. I would suggest a lower unit rebuild with new bearings and seals."

I'll bring the legendary weasel brew, I've been looking for an excuse to try it.
Old 01-02-2022, 22:02   #4

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Matt, whatcha mean by "jammed"? As Ann said, the bearings in the drum and the swivel are automotive axle bearings and the seals common auto items as well. On ours there was a stack of two or three seals in series, and IIRC two stacked bearings in the drum. I don't remember how hard it was to get at them, but obviously the furler would need to come down to do the job. The foil has a full length plastic bearing tube IIRC and is unlikely to cause jamming.

A call to Reef Rite might get you some data, always better than my faulty memory!

Jim
Old 02-02-2022, 00:47   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Matt, whatcha mean by "jammed"? As Ann said, the bearings in the drum and the swivel are automotive axle bearings and the seals common auto items as well. On ours there was a stack of two or three seals in series, and IIRC two stacked bearings in the drum. I don't remember how hard it was to get at them, but obviously the furler would need to come down to do the job. The foil has a full length plastic bearing tube IIRC and is unlikely to cause jamming.

A call to Reef Rite might get you some data, always better than my faulty memory!

Jim

Jammed is the description from the seller.

We have a whole day put aside to prep the boat for the trip north, but from you and the what the reef rite rep have written I think I’ll just leave it as a non-furler for now. It’s only 65 miles in very benign conditions.

Plenty of time to sort it out after the sale.

M
Old 02-02-2022, 12:10   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Jammed is the description from the seller.

We have a whole day put aside to prep the boat for the trip north, but from you and the what the reef rite rep have written I think I’ll just leave it as a non-furler for now. It’s only 65 miles in very benign conditions.

Plenty of time to sort it out after the sale.

M
So, when is the big day? I'll watch the wx... and does she have AIS?

Jim
Old 02-02-2022, 12:13   #7

Another thought: the "jam" could be the ratchet mechanism built into the drum, meant to take the load off the reefing line when operating partially furled. There is a lever that lifts the pawl from the sockets in the drum, and it could be fouled... maybe.

Jim
Old 02-02-2022, 20:27   #8

Quote:
So, when is the big day? I'll watch the wx... and does she have AIS?

Jim

No AIS, she’s kinda original condition.

However, she DOES have an old HF radio plus a very large ground plane. I figure you’d approve of those.

Plan is to sail her up to Adelaide on Sunday.

Or swim…
Old 02-02-2022, 20:28   #9

Quote:
Another thought: the "jam" could be the ratchet mechanism built into the drum, meant to take the load off the reefing line when operating partially furled. There is a lever that lifts the pawl from the sockets in the drum, and it could be fouled... maybe.

Jim

I wondered about that too, but the owner sailed her from Columbia to Australia over sixteen years, so I figure he is probably dialled in to those sorts of issues.
Old 03-02-2022, 13:43   #10

Quote:
I wondered about that too, but the owner sailed her from Columbia to Australia over sixteen years, so I figure he is probably dialled in to those sorts of issues.
Well, if the boat has been on a mooring without attention for a number of years, then salt air and moisture could have fused it together. There is a reason people wash down their boats with copious quantities of fresh water once or twice a year, even people who usually wait for rainfall to do it.

Check the lever, if it withdraws the pin, you're home free, maybe. Always remember there may be more than one thing wrong at the same time. It makes troubleshooting harder, but it is common with vessels that have sat for a long time. I know you plan to sail, but do bring spare fuel filters. And do change the engine oil before you take off.

Ann
Old 05-02-2022, 04:11   #11

Well, it got worse.

The Yankee on the reefrite can't be unfurled and the stsysail furler is jammed at the top swivel.

Ironically, after all my misgivings, the in-mast furling main is able to deployed without any problems. Sadly the main is utterly and totally bagged out. I managed 2 knots to windward in about 15 knots of wind.

Ah well, 60 miles to go.
Old 05-02-2022, 04:57   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Following.

I just ordered one of these.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 12:39   #13

@hpeer,

Big difference is that this one has been sitting for 10 yrs., salty and unmaintained.

GILow, did you try the weasel p--- for the bearings? If the sail has better shape reefed, the boat may go better, even with less total area out. Even if it is only one sail, freeing up the stay sail should help, and all it may require is getting that top bearing lubricated somehow. Is there a halyard to use to go aloft? Can you rig a safety line in case the halyard is chafed at the exit sheave?

Did you clean the bottom before you left KI?

Ann
Old 05-02-2022, 18:13   #14

Hi Ann.

I left the magic liquid in the car on the mainland.

Yeah, I know… no need to say it.

Cleaned the bottom, upset an awful lot of marine life forms in the process. Wouldn’t call it a race-level bottom job, but probably good enough for the trip.

Tags
furler