Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-03-2017, 08:02   #31
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.
Re: Reefing lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
Cost is the only reason people are hesitant to buy the dyneema cored line. You can get Amsteel in 3/16 for .70 a foot.... unfortunately, when the manufacturer puts a cover on it, the price quadruples. And i've not found a cover that I can buy for less than $1 a foot to do it myself.

I also bought 615' of the NE Spectra 3/8 too, but without a cover, I don't think my clutches will like it for reef/halyards. It'll be used for shore ties.

Matt
Why cover the entire thing? You only need about a six foot section covered for the clutches, though you could easily get away with even less if you take your time. There's are some specialty lines made just as dyneema covers but they tend to the technora/Kevlar end of things and are really expensive, just buy a few feet of sta-set, strip the core out and use the cover.

I do recommend a couple of lock stitches on either side of the clutch to lock the line in place but it only takes a minute to make up a line like this.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2017, 10:20   #32

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
Why cover the entire thing? You only need about a six foot section covered for the clutches, though you could easily get away with even less if you take your time. There's are some specialty lines made just as dyneema covers but they tend to the technora/Kevlar end of things and are really expensive, just buy a few feet of sta-set, strip the core out and use the cover.

I do recommend a couple of lock stitches on either side of the clutch to lock the line in place but it only takes a minute to make up a line like this.
For me, it's the hand feel of the tail. I've never had great luck with bare dyneema on a winch and the tailer doesn't work with that thin of a diameter. When I've stripped line before, I kept everything south of the clutch with a cover just to be able to use it efficiently and without slip.
Matt
Old 19-03-2017, 15:10   #33
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
For me, it's the hand feel of the tail. I've never had great luck with bare dyneema on a winch and the tailer doesn't work with that thin of a diameter. When I've stripped line before, I kept everything south of the clutch with a cover just to be able to use it efficiently and without slip.
Matt
So long as the portion that hits the winch or a clutch is covered the rest really doesn't need to be. Reefing lines typically don't have much if any load on them except right where they have a lot.

Old 19-03-2017, 15:25   #34

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Unlike the OP, we never had an issue with 3/8 Sta-set. If we are going to be reefed for a day or two, I typically tie the reef to the boom and let the line out anyway to reduce chafe.

Matt
Old 19-03-2017, 16:43   #35

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
Reefing lines

Pau L, Ann Cate, admiralslater, NakedCity, Stumble, thinwater, Suijin, sandy stone, Emerald Sea, CARLESTIS, UNCIVILIZED, Snowpetrel, Jim Cate, 44'cruisingcat, cayennita and funjohnson, thank you all for sharing your wisdom with me.

I have decided to go with a spectra cored line of 8 or 10mm. I'll decide afterward if I need to strip the cover. I'll report back after I get the new sheaves in and run the new lines.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2017, 17:01   #36

And thank you for your graciousness, it's appreciated!

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2017, 20:07   #37
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
Pau L, Ann Cate, admiralslater, NakedCity, Stumble, thinwater, Suijin, sandy stone, Emerald Sea, CARLESTIS, UNCIVILIZED, Snowpetrel, Jim Cate, 44'cruisingcat, cayennita and funjohnson, thank you all for sharing your wisdom with me.

I have decided to go with a spectra cored line of 8 or 10mm. I'll decide afterward if I need to strip the cover. I'll report back after I get the new sheaves in and run the new lines.
If you go with covered dyneema then I would taper it. This way you don't need to buy nearly as much very expensive line.

Let's assume that from the clutch to the mast, thru the reefing system, around the blocks, etc comes out to be 40'. You want to give yourself a little room to breath, so let's say you need 35' uncovered.

Now let's say that the entire length of the line when the sail is fully up needs to be at least 80'.

So you have a few options:

1) buy 80' of dyneema cored line. Put an eye splice in it and you are done.
2) buy 45' of the same line. Taper it back so the first 35' are just the dyneema core, then a 10' length of covered dyneema (this hits the winch), and a 35' tail of just the cover.
3) buy 80' of uncovered dyneema and 10' of flavored Ice (specialty line cover)

Using 10mm covered dyneema

1) is 80'*$4.18/ft = $335
2) 45'*4.18/ft = $188
3) 80*$1.62/ft = $130 + 10*4.89/ft = $178

Either 2 or 3 normally come out to about the same price, I think 2 is normally a better option unless weight savings is critical.