Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2022, 15:16   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Re: REEFRITE FURLER OPINIONS WANTED

Quote:
Originally Posted by carioca View Post
I went with the deck bag solution since I already had them from when the sails were hanked on before the furler was installed. The local sail makers never returned calls about installing sacrificial strips so I stayed with the deck bags. The pawl can be disabled though I don't know if the pawl can be reversed so you don't need to change the sacrificial strips. If you haven't talked with Alfred Poor yet, he is the North American rep for Reefrite. He should be able to answer all your questions.
By phone: 610-853-2034
By email: info@reefrite-na.com
Web site: reef-rite-na.com

Best regards,

Jim
Nom,

I have discovered Alfred, he lives about an hour from us.

He is reaching out to the factory on this pawl issue.

I am thinking l, worse comes to worse, that every few years we need maintenance in the sacrificial strips, disable the pawl for now then when the strips need maintenance have it reversed at that time.

Just kicking it all around.

As to the height if the drum I have looked at the dimensions and my existing set up, which has some lengthening straps to raise it. Height will be fine. Width may be an issue, I need to look at that more closely. The Reefrite seems quite wide, which is in some ways good, just need to double check clearances on a day I am not freezing or getting wet.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 15:44   #17

Boat: Herreshoff H36 11.5 mtr

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
It is getting time to replace the existing Profurl. It is having a number of issues, dating back to a goof in the original install in 2007. It may be worth the effort to fix but it is probably time to replace the wire so I am looking at a potential upgrade.

I have come across the Reefrite system from NZ. From my research not much has been written about them but nothing bad. So I am reaching out to the collective to see what others with experience think.

44” LOD, 50’ LOA 40,000lb cutter. 54’ luff, 62’ mast height.
Hi hpeer, this is my first post, but been lurking here for some years.
I had a Reefrite fitted on my last yacht which worked extremely well for us and was still doing so when we sold the boat after 10 years use. My new to me, old Herreshoff also has a Reefrite. Just finished a major refit and while the rig was out in Opua, the rigger took the furler to Reefrite in Kerikeri and they totally overhauled it, so should outlast me.
That was November 21, so they are still there making furling systems. I am very happy with the setup which I believe hasn't changed a lot since inception. Cheers Grant
Antipodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 15:46   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Antipodes,

Thanks and welcome aboard.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furler, wanted