Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-04-2011, 06:33   #31

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran
Re: Removeable Inner Forestay- High Modulus Line vs Wire

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Escape Plan View Post
This looks fine but are you sure about the load rating on that shackle at the bottom? I would think a proper toggle would be more appropriate here.
Logical observation, but...

In protected or coastal waters, this EXPENSIVE Wichard "quick adjust & quick release" turnbuckle is moved from the cabin front to it's chainplate, when I rig up the staysail. The snap shackle is therefore necessary, and has twice the WL of the wire attached to it. I have confidence in the rig.

I also have snapshackles on the synthetic runners, along with "quick adjust" turnbuckles. This allows me to have the runners rigged up at sea, (unless going downwind), but not tight. If I need to raise the staysail, I put 4 turns on the opposing turnbuckle first. Snap shackles have their risks, but I weighed that risk against the risk of a longer period of time spent fiddling with pins and not holding on, in BIG seas and 30+ knots of wind. I can rig these up and/or adjust them in a matter of seconds! Everything is a compromise...

On a passage at sea, the staysail wire is already in place, as is the bagged staysail, ready to raise...

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PA060146 - Copy (2).JPG
Views:	199
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	26304   Click image for larger version

Name:	061.JPG
Views:	195
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	26305  

Click image for larger version