Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2012, 14:03   #16

Re: Removing the Boom

Do NOT remove the boom!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 14:08   #17

Lots of good thoughts here, but nobody has mentioned what I think is the real key:
If you're going 'round the world or etc., you're going to be sailing in conditions that a lot of the arm chair beer-swillers won't see. Eliminating the main also eliminates a lot of support for assuring that the mast stays in column and doesn't decide to put it's head in your lap. Laps were never made for mastheads.

If you ain't gonna eliminate the main, then all those points above about the good things a boom does for a main apply.

Lots of construction projects in Kuwait. You must be able to buy him a hard hat to wear in the cockpit. (I once wore one on an the foredeck until I shamed the after-guy trimmer off the boat. He only "tapped" me on the head once, tho.)

Get an e-mail off to Kalik or any decent Naval Architect you know or talk to a rigger or sail maker about this before you go ahead with this.

LH44 Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 14:41   #18

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

G'Day SS,

I really hope that I'm not too late with this, but for ultimate safety, don't remove just the boom! Take down that pesky mast as well... this way there is no chance of several nasty things happening. These include halyard fouling, bits of stuff falling from aloft and striking yon husband, bird poop strikes, and the ever present danger if being dismasted. Think of the savings on sails, too... the ones that you can fly without the mast are very inexpensive.

A new world awaits if you can think outside of the box and beyond conventional masted sailing.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 01-04-2012, 15:03   #19
CLOD

Boat: none

This only applies today, April 1, but the correct answer is:

1 - remove the boom
2 - store it up his a** till needed
3 - grease and lube prior to 1&2 is really about how long it is going to be in storage

If you let him know the plan I bet he will agree it is best to leave the boom where it currently is
Old 01-04-2012, 16:28   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
This only applies today, April 1, but the correct answer is:

1 - remove the boom
2 - store it up his a** till needed
3 - grease and lube prior to 1&2 is really about how long it is going to be in storage

If you let him know the plan I bet he will agree it is best to leave the boom where it currently is
I like this suggestion, however, what does the group think about lubricant? Lanolin? Lan o kote? Waterproof grease? or...?
However, if the OP doesnt like the above suggestion, then I think really what needs to be done is she needs to distract him with a real project...Like whipping teh ends of all the lines.... he's obviously got too much time and thinking way TOO MUCH!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote