Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2022, 09:05   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 423
Replace your winch pawl springs

I clean my Lewmar winches at least every other year. The boat is 17 years old. Our typical sailing is weekends during the New England summers so they see pretty light duty. When I clean them I only replace the pawl springs that go missing during cleaning. I have never seen a broken one.

We are cruising in the Bahamas now and noticed one of the two cabin top winches did not spin as freely as the other so I took it apart to clean. Three of the four pawl springs had one leg broken. There was enough of a stub that the pawl still sprung back normally. I replaced all four on that winch. The other cabin top had two broken, one on each gear set, so I replaced those. I checked the primaries and they were fine but I replaced one on each gear set. I didn’t have enough to replace them all. As soon as I get back to the states in a couple of weeks I will replace them all.

I don’t know what the recommended frequency of replacement is but it seems like it is cheap insurance to do them every time the winches are cleaned.

Harry
s/v Juno
hlev00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 09:15   #2

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389
Re: Replace your winch pawl springs

Are they 2 speed manual or electric?
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 10:49   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Manual. Not that it should matter, I don’t think.
Old 09-05-2022, 15:59   #4

Sorry I don’t have a clue. I’m mechanically clever but know zero about winches. I’d love to take a corse on them. I have 3 electric one manual. I’ve had the boat 2 years and have not touched them. They are the most alien equipment moving from power boats.
The boat is 7 years old.
I’m eager to understand why these springs break how they sound or function when one or more are broken. Is there another wearing part which over taxes them.
Old 09-05-2022, 17:06   #5

Boat: Gulfstar 50 ketch

Not sure this is the case but I think if you put the pawls in backwards it still works but stresses the spring. Might be something to check.
Bellinghamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 17:22   #6

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

I don’t know anyone who’s replaced springs. The marina still has a bunch in a bin, and they’ve been there since at least 1990.

I’m pretty sure our new to us winches have never been serviced. One more friggin project.
Old 09-05-2022, 17:22   #7

Quote:
I’m mechanically clever but know zero about winches. I’d love to take a corse on them.
I was worried that winches would be complicated to service and was a bit nervous when I first opened them. But the design is very clever so that it is simple to disassemble, clean, and reassemble. I bought the little service kit that came with grease, oil, and springs. The springs are tiny and I assume metal fatigue gets them after a while. They cost virtually nothing so just replace them (I keep the old ones for emergencies).

Mine are Lewmar and I assume they are all similar and have similar service kits. Just watch a servicing video on YouTube and read the manual that comes with the kit. You'll be surprised how easy it is.

Two caveats:

- If you wait too long the old grease gets much harder to remove. I think mine had not been serviced much by the PO and it took a while to clean them.

- If you do them while in the water, come up with a way of stopping anything falling overboard. I think some people cut a hole in a bucket and place it over the winch. I did mine on the hard so no worries there.
leecea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 17:26   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50

My winches are 45 years old and get a clean every couple of years. You only have problems with pawls when you over grease them and the grease goes hard causing them to stick. Never managed to loose a spring yet Lithium grease on the bearings/gears and gear oil on the pawls.
Old 09-05-2022, 18:15   #9

Is the spring like number 38 in my winch schematic ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F20F67CB-F3AE-46D6-8D2E-8582CD2AFB44.jpeg
Views:	66
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	257494  
Old 09-05-2022, 18:19   #10

Boat: Tartan 3800

I install new springs and pawls when I take the winches apart for cleaning and lubrication. The parts are cheap and readily available, at least for recently manufactured winches (last 30 years).
Old 09-05-2022, 18:27   #11

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Springs are considered perishable tooling and should be replaced at each service. They are no longer cheap, as they were several years ago but a bargain nonetheless. Their effectiveness declines as they are used and they serve a very important purpose, just as pawls do. Pawls should be closely inspected for wear and replaced when the engagement surfaces are worn. For those who have never serviced a winch there are many useful videos that can guide you.
An example here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=OqCunPhQHw4
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 18:55   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

@rumrace. Yes, #38
Old 09-05-2022, 18:57   #13

Boat: S2 9.1

I do my winches about every two years. I replace the springs each time since they are inexpensive. I have found broken springs and the occasional broken pawl, so have those on had when servicing them.

I get and old wash basin and put the dissembled parts of the winch in it with some mineral spirits. Clean it all with a disposable brush, dry it off and reassemble with grease and light oil.

I lean a bunk cushion against the lifelines to stop little parts from bouncing over board. Saved my bacon a few times.

Have fun.
Gary Mc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winch