Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-10-2022, 12:31   #1

Replacement mast rigging questions

Any experienced riggers out there?

I’m in need of a new mast, due to failure of the old one. And I found a used replacement that is the exact same extrusion (Isomat NG60) but it’s set up as a single spreader mast when my old one was a double spreader.

The question: is it at all reasonable to convert this mast to double spreader?

Isomat spreader bases are welded to the mast, so I’m concerned that the old spreader bases would form a serious weak point in-between what would be the 2 new spreader bases, rendering the mast unsafe, as welding of this sort in aluminum causes weakening of the underlying aluminum due to heat annealing (not generally a real problem at an exiting spreader base, but in between… maybe??). Also, this would generally mean welding some kind of reinforcement in place wouldn’t work either I’m guessing.

Also, I’m assuming that all of my chain plates, etc. are designed and positioned for the loads of a double spreader mast, and I can’t just rig the new mast as a single spreader.

Also, anybody got a 44 ft or so Isomat NG60 double spreader mast (or equivalent) lying around?
Sailentropy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast, rigging