Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-03-2020, 02:45   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: Replacement of standing rigging in AUSTRALIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popeye46 View Post
Thanks for the info, I’ll give David Lambourne a call. I am curious to know if you will be allowed back into Oz. I had planned to sail to Samurai for 3 months in June and have the rigging replaced in the Gold Coast (Boatworks) or Brissy on the way. However I heard that I may not be allowed back into Oz, plan B go to the Swains.
Happy Days Sailing

Samurai or Samarai in PNG?

If the latter, you may not be allowed into PNG. You certainly couldn't come here now.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2020, 03:14   #17

We recently had our Valiant 40 re rigged in Airlie Beach for a reasonable amount, about half the cost of a 30 footer done in Sydney ten years ago.

As we had a keel stepped mast and a cutter rig, they were able to do the job without dropping the mast.

Replace the lower stays, then the upper ones. We have a sort of fixed runner stay called a soldier stays, so the mast is stable just on the lowers. Don’t know about your rig.
olaf hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2020, 15:57   #18

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfred1 View Post
We're Australian citizens on a Australian registered boat, so at this point in time as far as we know we can still sail back to Oz. We have to do the 14 days quarantine and the passage time is included in that.

Initially we wanted to head south to Vanuatu for the season, our second option was to head north to PNG, both countries have closed their borders, as have just about every country.

if we're left in limbo, maybe we'll head for the Swains, great diving!!! see you there....
sorry, NOT if you go into queensland. there the 14 days starts upon arrival.

cheers,
chrisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2020, 17:26   #19

Boat: PERRY 43 PASSAGEMAKER

Yeah I feel your pain. It,s amazing how things have changed and I am not referring to the big C. Years ago I lived in Sydney and decided to see the fireworks on NYE jumped into an RIB with my wife, son & the kelpie, no lights floated under the harbour bridge and laid across the RIB to watch the fireworks.

Planned to go to Sydney last NYE and the number of hoops we had to jump through due to the fact that we were potentially terrorists was unbelieveable. We decided to forget about it.

I bought my boat on 29 january 2018 in Airlie Beach. I planned to stay in Aibls Point Marina until the cyclone season finished. However the marina fees at Able Point were exorbidant so I decided to sail home to Ballina on Feb1. Near the Percys I was intercepted by a Border force boat that treat us like criminals simply because we were heading south at the wrong time of year and did not have AIS.
Rant over.

Here I am lucky enough to be whinging about nothing really, when there are so many people are facing life and death situations and doing it tough
Popeye46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2020, 23:37   #20

Boat: PERRY 43 PASSAGEMAKER

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Samurai or Samarai in PNG?

If the latter, you may not be allowed into PNG. You certainly couldn't come here now.

Sorry Samarai in PNG. Do you know of it?
Popeye46 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia, men, rigging