Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-03-2016, 12:32   #16

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Re: Replacements for my Barlow winches?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
I meant to link this. Harken It's a calculator for sheet load at a given sail size and wind strength.

The problem with the winch guide Uncivilized linked is that is assumes the sail is no larger than 100% of the J dimension, which is a bit unrealistic.

And I would second Harken as a supplier. Their customer service is the best in the business. I pretty much default to Harken, even if their prices are a bit higher the support you get is just so fantastic.
Using the Harken Winch Size Chart/Calculator, requires, at most, a little bit of common sense "tuning", when using it. As if your boat/sails don't fit the I & J, or P & E dimensions on it; then you compare the area of the sail in question on your boat, to the listed sail areas on the chart, & then pick your winch size accordingly.

Were as, trying to pick a winch size, based on a sheet loading, is a good bit more complicated. And a large percentage of folks don't have the expertise in order to do it that way, correctly.
The chart I set up the link to, makes things much simpler is all I'm attempting to point out.

Bottom Line: If you're not sure as to what size winch you need, then you pick up the phone & call Harken (or whom ever). They're happy to help

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2016, 02:31   #17

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

rfkneller,

Have a look at some Andersen self-tailers. They're really good if they're within budget.

in my heart, I lust after them.

Ann
Old 19-03-2016, 09:01   #18

Boat: Jeanneau 43ds

I am changing one of my Harken halyard winches to electric so have a perfectly good manual Harken 44 self-tailing winch for sale (the Harken ref is 44.2st) with chrome drum. Am based UK but if someone is interested i could drop it off on my way from Uk to Croatia in July. Alternatively could deliver in London or on S Coast UK somewhere in April.Value? £500 ono.
Andrew
Jeanneau 43ds

Tags
men, replacements, winch