Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-04-2021, 13:28   #31

Boat: Beneteau First 405 40ft
Re: Replacing Running Rigging - Techniques for Reaving?

Don't forget to check all the sheaves at the same time. Halyard, boom, etc. We recently purchased an older boat and replaced them all. Many had chips off the ends that could severe a line from years of UV.
Toujours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2021, 07:04   #32

Boat: Hunter 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfelsent View Post
Oh. And the pedantic side of me hopes you are reeving not reaving [emoji1]
The pedantic side of me uses spell Czech.
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2021, 07:24   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumbs Up View Post
No need for a messenger. Just tape the new line to the old one and pull it through.
Essentially it's the two halyards (three if I add a spinnaker) and topping lift that will be the troublesome ones. Everything else is at deck level and won't need this technique.

So to save time I've purchased pre-made lines. These have an eye and shackle at one end and are whipped at the other.

So, I could do this:
-Drop the sail, detach shackle
-Cut the eye off the original line
-Pull back the cover and cut the core a few inches shorter
-Put the whipped bitter end of the new line inside the cover of the old line butted up against the cut-short core
-Put a few stitches if whipping twine through to hold it all together
-Softly, softly using the old line pull the new line back up the mast, though the sheave there, down the inside of the mast, out the hole, through the blocks and clutch to the cockpit

(and for those inevitable few that want to jump in and tell me all salt encrusted sailors need to learn how to splice yada yada yes I know, I used to be able to do this years ago, and splice 3 strand and all sorts of rope work of the nautical and non-nautical type, but I need to relearn it, don't want a subpar job, and am in a hurry, so please don't make those comments).
Old 17-04-2021, 07:25   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toujours View Post
Don't forget to check all the sheaves at the same time. Halyard, boom, etc. We recently purchased an older boat and replaced them all. Many had chips off the ends that could severe a line from years of UV.
Excellent point. I've a rigger coming to tune the rig, since he's going up the stick I'll ask him to double check.
Old 17-04-2021, 07:29   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post

Most mason line is pretty light for mousing line, I would use something heavier if you do that.
Since we are all pedants, let me ask for clarification.

I thought mousing was the technique of wrapping light line, wire etc around pins to prevent them coming out of things like shackles and fittings.

I've always said "messenger" but perhaps this is the lubber term?
Old 17-04-2021, 07:34   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderhoof View Post
One more small thing. I have found that internal halyards sometimes get twisted together in the mast, especially on older boats. This results in considerable friction on line 1 when line 2 is tensioned, such as a jib halyard after the mainsail is raised. The way I fix this is, with the mast raised, to remove either line at the mast exit and then attach it to a length of reeving line which has a number of nuts or washers that will fit through the mast opening. Apply tension to all other lines still in the mast and then drop the assembly into the mast until it appears at the lower exit. It helps if the line is marked at the point where the weights should appear at the exit and if you have a small hook to fish them out of the mast.
I have a short length of old bicycle chain for exactly this purpose. Hoping I won't need it.
Old 17-04-2021, 12:53   #37

Boat: Morgan 44 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderhoof View Post
It helps if the line is marked at the point where the weights should appear at the exit and if you have a small hook to fish them out of the mast.
If the weights you use are ferrous metal (someone else mentioned bicycle chain which is also what I use), then one those those strong, telescopic magnets commonly used in the automotive industry, easily finds the chain at the bottom exit.
CassidyNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2021, 16:38   #38
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31
Smile Re: Replacing Running Rigging - Techniques for Reaving?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightlead404 View Post
Since we are all pedants, let me ask for clarification.

I thought mousing was the technique of wrapping light line, wire etc around pins to prevent them coming out of things like shackles and fittings.

I've always said "messenger" but perhaps this is the lubber term?
"Messenger" is a better term; I think this use of "Mouse" jumped over from electricians who run a messenger through conduit by tying string to a little plug called a mouse and sucking it through with a vacuum at the far end. It scurries right through.
Sometimes I mouse a messenger line through a spar with a fish tape, as well.
Old 21-04-2021, 21:48   #39

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Why in the world would you pay a rigger to make up halyards? Talk about check book sailing! This sort of routine maintenance should be part of any cruiser's capabilities, for it isn't very hard to master and paying someone 100+$/hr to do such mundane tasks is (IMO) a poor allocation of your cruising budget.

Jim
Answering the question Jim, not judging ....

"My plan was to have all the lines made up to spec"
Old 21-04-2021, 22:42   #40

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B View Post
Answering the question Jim, not judging ....

"My plan was to have all the lines made up to spec"
Fair enough, David! I just get all concerned when folks who want to go off sailing don't do these rather basic chores themselves. Everyone gets to do it their way, sometimes at their own longterm expense.

Jim
Old 21-04-2021, 22:55   #41

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Stitch it! I prefer knots over splices. I like to trim line on occasion to move the chafe points on the line.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2021, 23:26   #42

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Fair enough, David! I just get all concerned when folks who want to go off sailing don't do these rather basic chores themselves. Everyone gets to do it their way, sometimes at their own longterm expense.

Jim
Agree Jim.

Nice to have all the skills, and really one should be fully independent when taking on a yacht. Starts right at the helming point - as I point out to people, you cant just park up on the side of the road for a rest, when the going gets tough (and yes, how well do some boats heave to .....).

But having said that, it would be a shame if a dream was left to die, but for the inability to perform what some of us consider basic tasks.

What I like about sailing is that we are always learning, always stretching the horizon.

I find splicing very satisfying (don't do nearly enough of it mind ....), and my need for orderliness and tidiness is met with a nice splice.

Having said that, when we wanted some new dock lines a couple of years ago, I just ordered them spliced; time = money / money = time ..... .

Fair winds,

David
Old 22-04-2022, 10:01   #43

Boat: Lagoon 380

old thread, but I just did my first topping lift line replace. It went very well, the new line didn't even cause a bump thru a few sheaves. I did the needle and waxed line route, and I don't even remember the last time I touched a needle not counting splinter removal.
The old line was so hard, it didn't want to allow needle penetration, so the thread was maneuvered around the outer braid. The new line pieced all the way thru easily.
team karst is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rigging