Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2023, 08:15   #1

Boat: '98 Beneteau 352
Replacing Spinlock rope clutches: adhesive vs silicone

I'm in the process of replacing the rope clutches on a '98 Beneteau 352. Looking around for advice, this has been my journey:

I was leaning towards using butyl tape. Our mechanic, who seems to have many years of experience, said that it wouldn't last two years.

He suggested Life Seal which contains polyurethane. Spinlock says don't use anything with polyurethane in it.

I found a discussion here that suggested 3M 4200. Our mechanic said it's overkill and will only cause problems down the road.

I contacted our Spinlock rep who suggested that no adhesive be used, just marine grade silicone. Our mechanic said they don't know what they're talking about and that I should just use Life Shield.

Dare I ask others to weigh in here? We're about an hour and a half into boat ownership, so...a consensus would be great, but I'll accept pretty much anything stated with confidence at this point. Thanks!
Rip1797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 08:25   #2

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!
Re: Replacing Spinlock rope clutches: adhesive vs silicone

I have changed hundreds of them, it only has silicone where the 2 screws go through, 3m 4200 is fine.
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 08:28   #3
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Welcome to boat opinions!

First, if it is a cored hull, the core much be removed and replaced with epoxy to prevent leaks into the core. Google it. If this is a replacement with no new holes you "hope" it is already done.

Second, probably any of those will work. I'm not a fan of silicone for this, but Lewmar is. As for ease of removal, if the first set lasted over 20 years, the second set should last until the wrecking yard. I wouldn't worry about it. I'd go with Sika 295 (similar to 3M 4200, but a little better IMO).

Best wishes!
Old 06-03-2023, 08:38   #4

Boat: Tartan 3800

I think, in reality, any of those products will work. In your situation I would use some 4200 on the fasteners and fastener holes and would not try to bed the entire spinlock. By keeping the contact area small it will be possible to pry the spinlock loose next time it has to be replaced.

I used to use a lot of butyl tape but have moved away from it because it tends to flow very slightly out of the joint over the course of months/years but remains adhesive, so it attracts dirt, sticks to lines, etc. I still use it for larger items that may have to be removed later, particularly nonmetallic items that might be damaged by the high heat necessary to loosen 4200.

I use 4200UV as my general purpose sealant for deck fittings.

I don't use silicone sealant for anything on the boat, except bedding acrylic windows. The problem with it is that once it is cured nothing will stick to it, including fresh silicone sealant, and so it has to be very thoroughly removed and the area cleaned and sanded when it is time to replace whatever the silicone was holding in place or sealing.
Old 06-03-2023, 08:48   #5

Boat: Ontario 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip1797 View Post
I'm in the process of replacing the rope clutches on a '98 Beneteau 352. Looking around for advice, this has been my journey:

I was leaning towards using butyl tape. Our mechanic, who seems to have many years of experience, said that it wouldn't last two years.

Don't believe him. I have been refitting my 48-year-old boat and the deck fittings which the builder sealed with butyl tape were still sticky and water-tight. No water penetration of the core whatsoever, on a boat which has gone from the Great Lakes to the Bahamas and back.

For the past thirty years, butyl tape has been my go-to for sealing any hardware on deck, including my Spinlock clutches. Experience has taught me that anything which is sealed with LifeSeal, 3M 4200, or any of the other gee-whiz sealants will eventually break down from UV and lose its seal. Anything which I have bedded with butyl tape has never leaked, even after twenty years of exposure.
Old 06-03-2023, 09:02   #6

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Silicone has only very very few uses on a boat and deck fittings is not one of them.

Never use silicone on any surface you might ever want to repaint later.
You will get it under your sandpaper, distribute it nicely and you will end up with pinholes in your paint job.

Butyltape or a Polyurethane based sealant is the way to go.

Polyurethane based sealants come in different formulations. Some more sealant types and some more glue type. Use the sealant type.

Don't be afraid of the Polyurethane. UV does not get in between the deck and the fitting. UV is only an issue when glueing windows.
Old 06-03-2023, 12:27   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 51

In my opinion life seal sucks. Spill any and it is there forever. Nasty stuff. Not a big fan of silicone. Huge fan of butyl tape. If some oozes out then take a small ball of it in your hand and dab or the ooze. This will pick it up cleanly. Lasts forever and you don’t need a chisel and crowbar to take apart. 2nd choice is 4200. JMHO your boat your choice. Best of luck.
Madehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 14:22   #8

I appreciate everyone taking the time to share their thoughts and experience. Though we are far from a consensus, I am more comfortable making - and living with - a decision. Thanks again!
Old 06-03-2023, 14:32   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip1797 View Post
I appreciate everyone taking the time to share their thoughts and experience. Though we are far from a consensus, I am more comfortable making - and living with - a decision. Thanks again!

I don't know.... There seems to be a consensus that the mechanic is nuts, or at the very least, overly set in his opinions. The rest of us sort of agree.

A plastic picnic knife or plastic razor (made for scraping stickers etc.) is handy for trimming butyl squeeze. Wait a few days.
Old 06-03-2023, 14:59   #10

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

nice

davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 16:27   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
I don't know.... There seems to be a consensus that the mechanic is nuts, or at the very least, overly set in his opinions.
This is spectacular.
Old 05-07-2024, 08:59   #12

Boat: Langevin - Triade 38

Resurecting this one year discussion.

Instead of asking why don't you look at the Spinlock website.

It says: DO NOT use polyurethane or polysulfate sealants. It is even written under the clutch!!!!

3m 4200, sikaflex and many others ARE polyurethane. DO NOT use.

Spinlock recommands silicone, nothing else, period. They must know more about their plastic than Internet Joe or Bob.
Tantinet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 11:24   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantinet View Post
Resurecting this one year discussion.

Instead of asking why don't you look at the Spinlock website.

It says: DO NOT use polyurethane or polysulfate sealants. It is even written under the clutch!!!!

3m 4200, sikaflex and many others ARE polyurethane. DO NOT use.

Spinlock recommends silicone, nothing else, period. They must know more about their plastic than Internet Joe or Bob.

Good post. It's probably the solvents. I know the polyurethanes can crack polycarbonate, for example.

By extension, I'm guessing butyl is out. It can also crack some plastics.

Tags
adhesive, clutch, rope, rope clutches