Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2019, 13:54   #1

Boat: Jeanneau 43ds
Reverse wrap on top-down furler

I love this forum, someone eventually has the answer. My problem is I have a gennaker on a Karver top-down furler and a continuous furling line. When I unfurl the sail I get a reverse wrap on the lower 25% of the sail. The reverse wrap therefore stops the rest of the sail to be unfurled because the more I pull un the line to unfurl, the more it furls at the bottom section so they are fighting each other.

The unfurling starts OK but then after a little while without me doing anything the bottom section spins in the other direction and I get the reverse wrap. I have tried increasing the tension in the halyard to the point I am worried something is going to break. Sometimes this seems to be the solution, other times it is a hopeless mess.

Am I doing something wrong?
Andrew
"Genial Bee"
Old 02-08-2019, 13:04   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Laurie Davidson 35
Re: Reverse wrap on top-down furler

You need to unfurl the sail with the furling line, not with the sheet. You need to have someone on the furling line controlling the speed the sail unfurls.
Watch this video helps
Kestrahl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furler