Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-12-2023, 16:08   #1

Boat: Bill garden Ct 41
Rigging a storm Jib differently?

So as i lay here after a rough day on the water, i ponder.
Having a cutter ketch; that be a mizzen, a main, staysail, and a foresail, Its a lot to handle single handed.

Ive been thinking of a system to make it easier for me to sail alone and thought of converting my inner staysail (which is a hank on storm jib) into a self tacking jib, but The benefits are outweighed being its only about as good for a quick easy daysail.

In lighter winds.. roughly 10knots, having four lines to handle on top of having to fish the outer genoa can be a lot. So the first thing that came to mind was decrease the lines i have to rangel with. I put the storm jib on a block connected to the mast, on another block, so now i only have to fiddle with 1 line, and now have time to deal with the genoa.

I haven't seen this anywhere and am not sure how it sails, i haven't tried it yet.

Has anyone else thought of this? Is this already a thing? any tips or thoughts would be appreciated.

I usually fly both foresails when going upwind in moderate conditions. My boat is a big tub and needs as much sail as she can get to move.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3035.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	347.1 KB
ID:	284488   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3034.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	405.0 KB
ID:	284489  

Liberty Tambien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2023, 17:48   #2

Boat: Tartan 3800
Re: Rigging a storm Jib differently?

If you are short tacking shorthanded roll up the staysail and put it away. The drive isn't worth it.

If you have a Genoa either replace it with a yankee (if hanked on) or roll it up partway to make it easier to tack.

The technique of putting a block on the clew to make a sail self-tacking is a standard one.
Old 16-12-2023, 18:12   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
If you are short tacking shorthanded roll up the staysail and put it away. The drive isn't worth it.

If you have a Genoa either replace it with a yankee (if hanked on) or roll it up partway to make it easier to tack.

The technique of putting a block on the clew to make a sail self-tacking is a standard one.
hm very interesting, i was curious if this was normal or not..
Yes i only fly one at a time on most occasions but the difference between one and two at least from what i can tell is 2 knots sometimes and on a long cruise i'll grab what i can take.

Both sails are hanks, and a yankee is out of budget for the moment
Old 16-12-2023, 19:37   #4

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock

So you are trimming the "storm jib" to a block on the mast, i.e. on the centerline?

I wouldn't think that could give good sail shape.
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2023, 20:29   #5

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

Sometimes it's easier to just slack off the forestay turnbuckle, pull the pin, lay the turnbuckle on the deck, (still connected at the deck,) and take the forestay aft to the shrouds and lash it down.
Sail with only the big jib.
Depending upon the height of the clew, (and assuming the jib doesn't lap the mast,) one can even rig-up a cheap version of a forestaysail boom and have the jib loose footed and self-tending.
Old 17-12-2023, 05:25   #6

Camberspar rigs on Freedom boats are set up with a single sheet for the self tacking jib. Works pretty well.
SunnyIsleMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2023, 06:26   #7

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyIsleMark View Post
Camberspar rigs on Freedom boats are set up with a single sheet for the self tacking jib. Works pretty well.

I think a Camberspar would be a good option allowing a slightly larger staysail than a self tacker and also be useful off the wind, where a self taker would require barber haulers (more lines).
Tupaia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2023, 06:36   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggray View Post
So you are trimming the "storm jib" to a block on the mast, i.e. on the centerline?

I wouldn't think that could give good sail shape.
yes off the center line.
Old 17-12-2023, 06:41   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowdrie View Post
Sometimes it's easier to just slack off the forestay turnbuckle, pull the pin, lay the turnbuckle on the deck, (still connected at the deck,) and take the forestay aft to the shrouds and lash it down.
Sail with only the big jib.
Depending upon the height of the clew, (and assuming the jib doesn't lap the mast,) one can even rig-up a cheap version of a forestaysail boom and have the jib loose footed and self-tending.
interesting idea, im having a hard time imagining it without visuals. but i think i know what you mean? Take the inner stay, un hook it from the bow, then the larger jib doesn't have to be fished, and then possibly make a boom for the large jib, so it functions as another "main" only needing one line to tend..?
Old 17-12-2023, 06:55   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post
I think a Camberspar would be a good option allowing a slightly larger staysail than a self tacker and also be useful off the wind, where a self taker would require barber haulers (more lines).
I believe all Jibs are pretty much self tacking as long as they dont run past the mast, simply some systems just need more trimming than others.

I havent heard of the camberspar set up but i'll check it out and learn some new ideas.

most of the "self tacking" jib get ups ive seen, the jib is hooked to a slide rail; wether it be an actual rail or a line running across the deck that the jib slides across, which would require little to no fiddling with, and you seem to have no control of sail shape. I figured one line off the center i can still let the sail loose and pull it in tight for upwind, making it a lot more versatile; compared to standard rig having the two sheet's running around the stanchions getting hooked on stuff.

Im not sure as far as performance goes though, how much of it i'll be losing, if trying to find something else is even worth it?
Liberty Tambien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2023, 07:04   #11

Camberspar sheet setup
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3122.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	412.7 KB
ID:	284500  
Old 17-12-2023, 09:01   #12

Quote:
Camberspar sheet setup
When i looked up the camberspar rig it showed a boom on a swivel hooked to a slide rail with some blocks, being attached to the jib clew. There must be a few different ideas coming from the same title as camberspar.

Either or From the picture you're showing, two sheets running down the main cabin, ive played with that idea and sadly i just dont have the right layout for it, my cabin top doesn't have any hardware to cleat the lines down on the cabin and is lacking any winches, and with the boom vang for the main running the length of the cabin top they would just get in the way.
Old 17-12-2023, 09:23   #13

The camberspar is run with only one sheet led to the cockpit. There is a block at the clew that also rotates the integral spar, much like a variable radius batten. As you sheet in, the shape is flattened, and as you sheet out, the sail becomes fuller, with the spar also acting as a built in whisker pole. The sheet dead ends at a pad eye on the deck.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3136.jpeg
Views:	44
Size:	181.3 KB
ID:	284510   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220915_145147.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	415.2 KB
ID:	284511  

Name:	IMG_3138.jpeg
Views:	50
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	284512   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3135.jpeg
Views:	30
Size:	183.3 KB
ID:	284513  

Old 17-12-2023, 10:01   #14

Quote:
The camberspar is run with only one sheet led to the cockpit. There is a block at the clew that also rotates the integral spar, much like a variable radius batten. As you sheet in, the shape is flattened, and as you sheet out, the sail becomes fuller, with the spar also acting as a built in whisker pole. The sheet dead ends at a pad eye on the deck.
That makes sense, i'll take a deeper dive into it on the web and see if its a viable option for my layout, appreciate the feedback!
Old 17-12-2023, 10:25   #15

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty Tambien View Post
When i looked up the camberspar rig it showed a boom on a swivel hooked to a slide rail with some blocks, being attached to the jib clew. There must be a few different ideas coming from the same title as camberspar.
Camberspar is a curved batten within the sail that maintains the shape of the jib. I think you have found a jib boom that is a separate external boom articulated at the deck that attached to the sail clew.
Tupaia is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
jib, rigging, storm jib