Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2013, 16:07   #16

Boat: Bristol Sailstar, Courier, 26
Re: Rigging a Topping Lift

the only problem with a "boom-kicker" and I have one, but no longer use it, is that in itself, it cannot help trim the sail , , ie help work the twist out which will work into the sail at just about any point of sail below pointing up! That is why I have gone back to a rigged topping lift. one does not need a big heavy one , which could indeed damage the roach, this is a tool primarily for trimming sail, secondarily for emergency , should your halyard disappear up the inside of your mast some dark rainy night, and 3rd ly for general uses like MOB hoisting or liftin supplies from the dink, eh?.
Now I never could see spending the money for the hydraulic lift / vang system, but I run a 4:1 boom vang & a 2:1 topping lift as a matter of course. I am listed a a "junior " however I am 63 years of age & have singlehandled 3 yachts, a 43 a 31 & a 26 since 1966 pretty much all over the Carribean and Atlantic, including burmuda, bahamas, the canaries and the azores islands, so with that , I rest my case
dlblandjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2013, 17:06   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

My topping lift goes to the end of the boom with a 3-1 purchase and a jam cleat block. It's easy to adjust from the cockpit except when the boom is way out. Would expect that you'd need at least a 3-1 and preferably a 4-1 purchase if you are going to run topping lift down to the cabin top unless you have a winch for it.

Replaced the vinyl coated wire topping lift with a 12 strand Dyneema line. Does not chafe the leech or flail around like the wire lift did as it's so light it blows off to leeward away from the sail. Went with 1/8th inch line but would go with something thicker. At anchor or in the marina, that thin a line acts like a guitar string when it's holding the boom up in winds above 10k.

I've run the main halyard and double line reefing back to the cabin top. Tack reefing lines and halyard to stbd. side. Outhaul and clew reefing lines to port. Works fantastically well and don't have to leave the shelter of the dodger to reef. Can reef in about a minute. It's so easy, often do it just for the fun of it. Use halyard bags on the cabin face to keep the lines out of the way and easily accessed.

Unless you are using a single line reefing system, can't see running the mainsail control lines to just one side of the cabin top. I'm not a fan of single line reefing. Way too much friction requiring a winch to haul in much of the reefing line which makes it very slow on the boats I've sailed on. Went out on a 27 footer this past weekend and it took two of us to reef without a winch. With the double line set up doesn't require a winch for the tack lines and only for the last 2' or so on the clew line. But since it is 8 lines led back to the cockpit, split them up, 1/2 to each side to make sorting out and control of the bitter ends way easy..

Wouldn't run the spinnaker and jib halyards back to the cabin top unless you'll always be sailing with a crew. Seems messing with the headsails always requires someone to work the halyard. If you are single handing or just having to communicate, it's a long ways back to the cockpit.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2013, 22:04   #18
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlblandjr View Post
the only problem with a "boom-kicker" and I have one, but no longer use it, is that in itself, it cannot help trim the sail , , ie help work the twist out which will work into the sail at just about any point of sail below pointing up!
The Boomkicker is not designed to work as a boom vang. You use it in combination with a boom vang (kicking strap for those of you in UK). All the Boomkicker is designed to do is hold the boom up, thus eliminating the need for a topping lift. A boom vang is still required.
islandplanet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lift, rigging