Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2022, 11:41   #1

Boat: Jeanneau 349
Rigging asymmetric spinnaker to top down furler

Looking for some tips and advice for those that have rigged their asymmetric spinnaker to a top down furler. I just received my new sail and have it with a sock currently but I think I’d like to change it to be on a furler (I love my code zero setup and would like to mimic that). Any hands on experience out there for those that have done it? Do you like it? Any challenges doing this or preferred hardware? Been looking at a Selden GX 15 but curious if there are other good options that are either better or similar and cheaper.
Letterkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 11:55   #2

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)
Re: Rigging asymmetric spinnaker to top down furler

This is the way to go, especially if short handed. You may need to add a short bowsprit for the top down furler, I use one of my anchor rollers and it works well, although I do pan to install a short sprit at some point. While Selden is probably the most robust option (my entire rigging is Selden), I think Profurl has a great furler with the advantage of faster (and should also smoother) furling due to their unique ball bearings along the cable. I think it also has a better price.

I think Practical Sailor had a good review on top down furlers a year or two ago - you may want to search for it. I think their preferred one was also Profurl.
Old 07-01-2022, 23:38   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeValency View Post
This is the way to go, especially if short handed. You may need to add a short bowsprit for the top down furler, I use one of my anchor rollers and it works well, although I do pan to install a short sprit at some point. While Selden is probably the most robust option (my entire rigging is Selden), I think Profurl has a great furler with the advantage of faster (and should also smoother) furling due to their unique ball bearings along the cable. I think it also has a better price.

I think Practical Sailor had a good review on top down furlers a year or two ago - you may want to search for it. I think their preferred one was also Profurl.
Thanks - I saw some review (might be that) which they liked that and Seldon. I’ve seen the Profurl for half the price of the Seldon which is a plus but ultimately don’t want any issues with the. My boat already has a built in bowsprit which I fly my code zero on.
Old 08-01-2022, 06:03   #4

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

[QUOTE=DeValency;3550765]I use one of my anchor rollers and it works well

I will apologize for the thread drift. Are you worried about an area of the lateral loading on your anchor roller when the Asym is fully loaded?
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 07:53   #5

Boat: GS 37 BC

[QUOTE=bensolomon;3551183]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeValency View Post
I use one of my anchor rollers and it works well

I will apologize for the thread drift. Are you worried about an area of the lateral loading on your anchor roller when the Asym is fully loaded?

We've been flying our asym from the roller and it's been fine, incl a broach. I've been somewhat worried though. I do see a 1mm lateral movement revealed by the exposed bedding. The anchor roller is obviously designed for a downward force and I wonder whether I should add a bottlescrew to pre-tension it down to the forestay attachment.
citlab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 08:41   #6

Boat: Hunter 46

I liked the topdown furler for my asymmetrical sail on my Hunter 386. Furl it up and tie it off with breakable yarn and run the continuuous fulter line to the cockpit and you are set to deploy and douse from the safety of your cockpit. I used a CDI top down furler.
sail sfbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 08:43   #7

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

[QUOTE=citlab;3551225]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bensolomon View Post

We've been flying our asym from the roller and it's been fine, incl a broach. I've been somewhat worried though. I do see a 1mm lateral movement revealed by the exposed bedding. The anchor roller is obviously designed for a downward force and I wonder whether I should add a bottlescrew to pre-tension it down to the forestay attachment.
Thanks for the reply!
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 09:03   #8

Boat: X-Yachts X4.9 15.0m

I use a Profurl Spinex for my downwind asymmetric and upwind gennaker. The advantage of the Spinex "balls" is that the diameter when you start to furl the sail is much larger than the diameter of the torsion rope which makes it easier and quicker to start the furl - you have more leverage. Also the Profurl top and bottom swivels are detachable so you can move one set of furling kit between two sails - maybe this is the case for other manufacturers as well.

Furling the asymmetric is a tougher physical job than furling the gennaker due to the much larger sail area - 177 sg metres vs 116 sq metres. I still prefer the top down furler to using a sock or nothing. I tack the asym down to a hard point on the bowsprit which is attached through to the hull. The top down furler works best with a lot of tension in the furler and I'm also nervous about lateral loads on the bowsprit proper. The separation between the tack point and the jib furler is about 1 foot - which seems enough in practice.
dcarratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 13:40   #9

Boat: Moody 41AC

There are a number of top down furlers -another make to look at is Karver -personally I would initially ask my sailmaker for advice or look at each furler at a boat show. Selden are I think pricy compared to others . As for the forces involved on your sprit it rather depends on area and wind strength but any rigger will advise if you need a short wire from the bow to end of sprit many have them for piece of mind -your owners association might be another source of info though .
Dreamcatcher34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 14:46   #10

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

In the performance sailing world KZ Marine are considered top of line, then Facnor, and after Karver, ProFurl, etc.

jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 17:56   #11

I don’t plan on racing it. Just want a furler to make it easier and more frequently used. No boat shows around here so I’ll start looking around. I’m mostly budget conscience and usability.
Old 08-01-2022, 18:00   #12

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letterkenny View Post
I don’t plan on racing it. Just want a furler to make it easier and more frequently used. No boat shows around here so I’ll start looking around. I’m mostly budget conscience and usability.
I understand that it's not for racing. But unfortunately a reliable and well working top down furler doesn't always equate with 'budget conscious'.

At least your boat is of a modest size so the sail area and loads won't be excessive.

jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
asymmetric, furler, rigging, spinnaker