Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-10-2022, 10:59   #16

Boat: 1999 Beneteau Oceanis 40cc
Re: Rigging with swept back spreaders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joli View Post
Does your rigging terminate at deck or do you have to go aloft to tension the d2's? The d1's will be on hard, the d2's not as much. Do you have access to a Loos Gage?
I don't have the gauge. The D2's adjust up at the spreader. Thanks
gwoiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2022, 11:07   #17

Boat: 1999 Beneteau Oceanis 40cc
Re: Rigging with swept back spreaders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo19.5 View Post
Cranking up your main (cap) strouds first bends your mast. I think you are working back to front in order. Ds first, then caps. Is it a masthead or fractional rig?
I agree with you. I just double checked. The forestay/furler goes all the way to the top of the mast and with swept back spreaders. I have read MANY tightening sequences for this rig. The difference with Selden, is they have you tension the backstays first. Then I believe D1 aft. I am thinking it is critical to get those tight like a rock with the mast straight, but again, the first time I went through this was with the main shrouds [cap] but I did not tighten them all the way down. I just first centered the mast. I believe Selden wants the backstays good and tight at first is to get the forestay tensioned and then later they have you back off the backstays. I think if my D2's were correct, I would not see so much bend come in when tightening the main shrouds [cap]. The last thing I tightened was the D1 forwards. From everything I am reading, these don't need to be very tight... just no flopping on leeward side sailing. The second day, I tightened these some more and boy did the bend come in. But again... my D2's are too loose.Sunday I will have a go at it again.
gwoiler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rigging