Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2009, 03:32   #31
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dove View Post
...... but that was with a stainless body turnbuckle, not a proper bronze body one like the ronstan.
I won't be put off by an "unproper" satainless body turnbuckle - assuming it's a quality turnbuckle.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 08:06   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
For your application a nicopress fitting would work fine. They are not as elegant looking but then they are a lot less expensive.

I have one at the end of a stainless steel wire on a hydraulic cable winch. I have pretty much abused it for years, including shock loading it pulling very heavy things off the bottom. I have never had one fail.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 17:13   #33

Boat: Triton 24 - Dove
That's sold me!!...
I figure the wire has a breaking strain of 2000kg, so as long as the turnbuckle is the same or more it should be sweet.
Double nicopress/ferrule/swage, for a bit of extra security and it should be sweet.
I'll take some photos when done and post them on the site.
Thanks to everyone for your fantastic input, see you out on the water!!!
Dove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 21:57   #34
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
There's something I don't understand, I hope someone can explain it to me. When you use those Nicopress crimps on stays or shrouds, the bitter end of the wire is facing up, isn't it? So how do you prevent water ingress into the wire that way?

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 22:51   #35

I wouldn't think it mattered...i assume with a roll type swage water could find it's way down to the bottom of the terminal fitting and sit there too, at the end of the wire? At least with the nicopress i can keep an eye on the end of the wire!!!
Old 02-09-2009, 23:33   #36
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Well.... no! A swage fitting is filled with sealant before it is swaged. A Norseman type fitting too, plus it can be opened for cleaning and re-sealing periodically.

If water gets into the wire (we're talking stainless steel, right?) you get corrosion. I think your best bet would be that "liquid whipping" stuff some people use for rope, but seal it, this is the most crucial part for keeping the wire good!

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 23:39   #37

Cheers Nick, i'll use that liquid tape stuff, maybe coat the whole thing to be sure! It'd look tidier too...i use a similar type liquid sealer on all my electrics, lovely.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:08   #38
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"So how do you prevent water ingress into the wire that way?" Traditionally by applying anhydrous lanolin (aka Lanocote) or oil, both of which can be soaked up by the jute or other fiber core in a cable.

Water gets in between the strands of standing rigging in any case, and migrates all the way through it. That's one reason why one meathook, one rust spot, is reason to suspect the entire cable. (You can't see what's going on inside it.)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote