Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2019, 10:53   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Re: Roller furler keeps wrapping around forestay

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanibel sailor View Post
Where are you located? A lot of big boat sailors here. You can buy a C22 for the $1200 riggers bill. Difference in scale and severity of forces and anticipated use between a Catalina 22 and a 58 footer suggest different approaches.
You clearly misunderstood. In Trinidad, the 1200 covered the replacement cables, 18 mm on the main mast and 5/16 on the mizzen including installation. Inspection alone was pennies by comparison but waived due to the repairs.

Definitely big difference between our boats but the OP sounded like he could use some experienced eyes in person. Perhaps an old salt in the yard would suffice.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2019, 10:57   #17

I'm located in Sheboygan Wisconsin. I'm at a slip in the river. The marina is very close by, I should be able to find some experienced help over at the marina.

Now that i know what kind of furler I have I have been reading about them and seems like the headstay installed in front of the furler is not needed as the furler itself has a headstay IN the foil? Should I be concerned about this internal headstay breaking?
glasshopper77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2019, 11:00   #18

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasshopper77 View Post
I'm located in Sheboygan Wisconsin. I'm at a slip in the river. The marina is very close by, I should be able to find some experienced help over at the marina.

Now that i know what kind of furler I have I have been reading about them and seems like the headstay installed in front of the furler is not needed as the furler itself has a headstay IN the foil? Should I be concerned about this internal headstay breaking?
If it's old and has never been replaced, it's quite possible that it can break. You need to be sure that the stay in the furler is properly tensioned for the furler to function properly. If this stay in your furler is currently connected top and bottom, it's nowhere near tensioned properly.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2019, 11:09   #19

aahh, thanks everyone! I think I now understand how this furler works. It looks very old and personally I don't trust this thing.
I do have an extra furling jib that is in pretty good condition however I will need to add hanks to it...I think I trust a new forestay with a hank on jib instead of this old furler....
Old 31-07-2019, 11:13   #20

Quote:
aahh, thanks everyone! I think I now understand how this furler works. It looks very old and personally I don't trust this thing.
I do have an extra furling jib that is in pretty good condition however I will need to add hanks to it...I think I trust a new forestay with a hank on jib instead of this old furler....
From your photos that furler doesn't appear to be in bad shape......just poorly installed.

As for the wire, if you think it's too old, replace the wire!! it's not a part of the furler. You've got a wire right there in front of the furler that you can run through it.

I suggest you get the furler worked out, it's much easier to handle the sails using it.
Old 31-07-2019, 11:26   #21

That wire in front of the furler is a brand new forestay. So if I understand you correctly, that new forestay is run inside of the foil? I was under the impression that the furler itself has a forestay already in it?? I will have to fully read the flexible furler instructions to see how this is done.
Old 31-07-2019, 11:37   #22

Quote:
That wire in front of the furler is a brand new forestay. So if I understand you correctly, that new forestay is run inside of the foil? I was under the impression that the furler itself has a forestay already in it?? I will have to fully read the flexible furler instructions to see how this is done.
The furler has/should have a wire inside of it. If you just purchased the boat, the PO may have purchased a new wire with the intent of replacing the wire inside the furler. If there is no wire inside the furler, DO NOT SAIL the boat, you'll destroy the furler in short order.
Old 31-07-2019, 12:15   #23

Boat: Columbia 57 "Angelique"

the problem is that the upper swivel is too low put a pennant on the top of the jib so that the halyard angle to the swivel is steeper. That will fix the problem.
I had this happen on my boat when I got a new jib so I speak from experience with this exact issue.
cptnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2019, 12:20   #24

Boat: Columbia 57 "Angelique"

oops just looked at the pics... its installed wrong for sure.
cptnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2019, 13:07   #25

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:

The stay in front of the furler may or may not be required, but do not assume it should go. Even if there is another stay inside your furler as is normal for most furlers, the second stay has many uses and serves as a backup in the event of a forestay failure. I am speaking from experience here as I have had a forestay fail while sailing my last boat and would have loved to have had a backup forestay at the time. My current boat DOES have two forestays with the furler on the aft of the two, as it appears to be on your boat.

However, the forward forestay on your boat has been attached to the bow fitting using a shackle which is not good and should be fixed immediately. The toggle on the bottom of the stay should be pinned directly to the plate on the bow fitting without that shackle, which will eliminate a weak point and a piece of hardware that can rattle itself undone at a bad moment.
Old 31-07-2019, 13:11   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
The stay in front of the furler may or may not be required, but do not assume it should go. Even if there is another stay inside your furler as is normal for most furlers, the second stay has many uses and serves as a backup in the event of a forestay failure. I am speaking from experience here as I have had a forestay fail while sailing my last boat and would have loved to have had a backup forestay at the time. My current boat DOES have two forestays with the furler on the aft of the two, as it appears to be on your boat.

However, the forward forestay on your boat has been attached to the bow fitting using a shackle which is not good and should be fixed immediately. The toggle on the bottom of the stay should be pinned directly to the plate on the bow fitting without that shackle, which will eliminate a weak point and a piece of hardware that can rattle itself undone at a bad moment.

Although being that the OP's boat is a catalina 22, there is no need or room for a second forestay. the rig is dinghy like in size.
Old 31-07-2019, 16:10   #27

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB

You may be able to use the “new” head stay wire inside the furler. There’s a reason most boats have furlers.
sanibel sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2019, 16:58   #28

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
Although being that the OP's boat is a catalina 22, there is no need or room for a second forestay. the rig is dinghy like in size.
Well, it is bigger than my last boat which was an Austral 20. I broke the forestay on that boat and it was only through a smart turn downwind that I managed to keep the mast upright while I rushed forward to lash a temporary fix in place.

I agree a second stay is a bit of overkill, but a small boat can have a stay failure in the same way a big boat can. And furlers can chew through stays when things go wrong. If it is there already, and the OP is not too worried about the performance hit, I reckon it should be kept.
Old 31-07-2019, 17:06   #29

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB

Did you happen to notice that the second headstay is hitting the drum and deflecting the stay/toggle at the base?

Keeping it is an option but not in the current configuration. There needs to be separation between the deck mount locations and mast attachments.
sanibel sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2019, 18:37   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanibel sailor View Post
Did you happen to notice that the second headstay is hitting the drum and deflecting the stay/toggle at the base?

Keeping it is an option but not in the current configuration. There needs to be separation between the deck mount locations and mast attachments.

It’s actually not touching the drum at all, the furler is just that loose!

Looking more closely at the masthead photo though, it appears that there is some dueling going on!

Tags
furler, roller furler