Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2019, 15:02   #1

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Rope or foam

Hello. I'm shopping for a new headsail, and have inquired with a few lofts about having a rope luff or foam luff for furling. Like anything else, they all have an opinion, and some contradict what others are saying. I've made a list of the pros and cons, but I value any input. My question to the group is in a real world, with real world experiences, how have each worked out for you? I'm a part time cruiser, but don't want to pay for the wrong thing. Thanks for any input.
Souzag818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 15:25   #2

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49
Re: Rope or foam

We have rope and believe it holds it shape better than foam when furled. Don't have a side by side comparison for the longevity of foam, but still holds an excellent shape after 5 yrs. for our radial cut genoa.
You didn't ask but we think the radial cut (vs a cross) was well worth it for a few dollars more.

Bill O.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 15:40   #3

Boat: Tartan 37
Re: Rope or foam

Had both, I prefer foam. Agree rope holds shape better when sailing with a furl. Doesn't hold water, less chance of mildew. You can change the luff material, the size & tapper very easily. This can change how the sail looks reefed. What I hate, is the rope sitting in the leading edge of the air flow, this drives me crazy. I also think that the foam provides a better looking smoother sail when furl. Also has much better aerodynamics. Never had a problem with meldew. If you like performance sailing go foam, if cruiser go rope.
puffcard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rope