Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-07-2018, 08:09   #1
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Rope to webbing quick coupler

I have a need for a coupler to connect webbing to rope that would be quick and would run through fairleads. It would not need to be terribly strong; a WLL of 100 pounds would be more than enough. Something like a sister clip, but better.

The below image allow rotation, but I want disconnect (don't need swivel).

I'm thinking it does not exist. Perhaps I could machine something from rod that screwed together, but I don't like it.
Old 28-07-2018, 08:20   #2

Boat: Valiant 42
Re: Rope to webbing quick coupler

A soft shackle from 1/8” Dyneema won’t work?
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2018, 21:24   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
A soft shackle from 1/8” Dyneema won’t work?

It strikes me that would hang up in a fair lead (the knot next to the rope would make it rather fat). Something soft would be nice. It is possible to put the loop on one and the knot on the other, but still too lumpy.
Old 29-07-2018, 15:13   #4

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock

What size webbing are you considering, what size fairlead, and will the fairlead be getting much side load, IOW, will there be much deflection?

Curious what you are trying to do, but won't ask!

Perhaps the coupler needn't be between the two different constructions. You could stitch webbing to the line, and have a web: web coupling. Maybe even double lapped industrial strength velcro.
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2018, 21:19   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggray View Post
What size webbing are you considering, what size fairlead, and will the fairlead be getting much side load, IOW, will there be much deflection?

Curious what you are trying to do, but won't ask!

Perhaps the coupler needn't be between the two different constructions. You could stitch webbing to the line, and have a web: web coupling. Maybe even double lapped industrial strength velcro.
Ask!

Furler line for reacher on 24-foot trimaran, no important deflection. You are right, it does not need to be two different constructions. However, a web-web connector might be too wide (good idea though--I had forgotten about those. On the other hand, the first two guides are lashed-on low friction rings and could easily be swapped for larger ones.

The reason was to avoid re-reaving the furler line when the sail is taken off. Most likely, I will just swap the line for stripped core and get over the re-reaving.

But I was still curious about coupler ideas. I recall my beach cat used sister clips a number of places.

Old 30-07-2018, 19:08   #6

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock

So the webbing section rolls up on the furler, and the rope tail leads to the clutch or cleat?
You might right that there is no neat connector that wouldn't foul.

You could stitch a loop of small Amsteel seizing line on each end to be connected together with a ring which knot (luggage tag hitch?) which would probably take as long as reeving the whole line, or longer, but at least the tail could be shortened for stowing the sail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Ask!

Furler line for reacher on 24-foot trimaran, no important deflection. You are right, it does not need to be two different constructions. However, a web-web connector might be too wide (good idea though--I had forgotten about those. On the other hand, the first two guides are lashed-on low friction rings and could easily be swapped for larger ones.

The reason was to avoid re-reaving the furler line when the sail is taken off. Most likely, I will just swap the line for stripped core and get over the re-reaving.

But I was still curious about coupler ideas. I recall my beach cat used sister clips a number of places.

ggray is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rope