Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2021, 14:21   #1

Boat: 320 Catalina and a 16ft Scruffie " Oma Martha"
Ropes and Sheaves

We got a 320 Catalina 2006 model and always had problems pulling sails up. In my search for solutions I found a post where a Catalina Owner with the same problem is saying it could be the size of the halyard being metric here in Australia 10mm but should be 3/8 which is 9.5mm.
I did replace all the running rigging just after we bought the boat and used 10mm
Has anybody else experienced the same problem? Can I buy 3/8 rope in Australia? Or can I get metric shaves for our boat?
Cheers
reiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 14:52   #2

Boat: Top Hat mkIII - 25ft
Re: Ropes and Sheaves

I changed from 10mm double braid to 8mm spectra on my beneteau 320 for mainsail halyard. Massive improvement for both raising and sail now falls under its own weight.
The benefit was partly due to reduced diameter of halyard but also to greater flexibility in spectra.
Also check masthead pulley is in good condition and not split.
lauriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 15:11   #3

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by reiner View Post
We got a 320 Catalina 2006 model and always had problems pulling sails up. In my search for solutions I found a post where a Catalina Owner with the same problem is saying it could be the size of the halyard being metric here in Australia 10mm but should be 3/8 which is 9.5mm.
I did replace all the running rigging just after we bought the boat and used 10mm
Has anybody else experienced the same problem? Can I buy 3/8 rope in Australia? Or can I get metric shaves for our boat?
Cheers
Normally you can go to the smallest diameter spectra halyards which fit your sheet stoppers (if you have those) or the self tailing mechanism on your winches (some of those are adjustable). Strength is not an issue but too small might slip.

So, if 8mm or 9mm works for your stoppers and winches, why not shift to one of those sizes? You will find a big reduction in friction.

Same goes for sheets.
Old 08-08-2021, 15:13   #4

Boat: 320 Catalina and a 16ft Scruffie " Oma Martha"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauriel View Post
I changed from 10mm double braid to 8mm spectra on my beneteau 320 for mainsail halyard. Massive improvement for both raising and sail now falls under its own weight.
The benefit was partly due to reduced diameter of halyard but also to greater flexibility in spectra.
Also check masthead pulley is in good condition and not split.
Thanks for your reply. That makes a lot of sense and I will do the same. I let you know how I go
cheers
reiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 16:52   #5

Boat: Catalina 320

I used to use 10mm but when I did recently it was too big and I switched out for 8 mm which runs much better. On this webpage for MLX3 there is this note.
Quote:
Diameters have been recalibrated for accurate metric sizing.
https://samsonrope.com/recreational-marine/mlx3
Which is the problem I encountered. Also I'd assume your boat also has an Isomat mast using the NG1 masthead. Original sheaves are Delrin and may benefit from inspection/replacement/clean/lube. Asked a rigger friend if aluminum or delrin were best and he said it was a toss-up. Metal lasts forever but plastic don't corrode.
https://www.rigrite.com/Spars/Isomat...1_Masthead.php
Calif.Ted is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
rope