Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2018, 15:45   #1

Running controls aft. Looking for input

My 92 Precision 23 was not available from the factory with halyards run aft. Newer boats are and I have follow the manufactures layout for the deck hardware. I do have a few questions.
1. Precision uses an upright lead block, my boat as a mast plate on it. Does the angle of the line look to great to the deck mounted cheek block?
2. The newer boats have a smaller hand rail - so the rope clutch sits out in the open. Do I put the clutch in the factory position where the hand hold sits - or move it aft? I think if it goes aft it might be to much of an angle on the halyard to the winch.

Thoughts ?

D.-
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	angle.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	167208   Click image for larger version

Name:	cheek1.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	167209  

Name:	cheek2.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	167210   Click image for larger version

Name:	cheek3.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	167211  

Name:	p23_clutch1.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	167212   Click image for larger version

Name:	p23_clutch2.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	167213  

dman535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 15:42   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31
Re: Running controls aft. Looking for input

Wow, a week and no replies...here goes then.
As long as the line doesn't chafe on the cheek of the turning block as it enters, it's fine. I'd be inclined to mount the clutch in the more forward position, as the aft position will put more of a side load on the clutch. It can probably handle it, but why ask it to for nothing?
Old 07-04-2018, 16:35   #3

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
Wow, a week and no replies...here goes then.
As long as the line doesn't chafe on the cheek of the turning block as it enters, it's fine. I'd be inclined to mount the clutch in the more forward position, as the aft position will put more of a side load on the clutch. It can probably handle it, but why ask it to for nothing?
They really don't leave much room in there do they? I'd like to see a shot where the main hatch is closed and how much room its still there. Ok the cheek block first, hard to tell, but you are right, make sure it is not chafing. If it is then a swivel block there will be better. The clutch: I hate to say it but you might want to consider moving the hand rail. The pull on the clutch is direct the way you have it, but there may be a little chafe as it comes out. Ideally there would be more room there but if you are leaving the handrail as is, and the main hatch is not in the way, then I'd vote for half way between the 2 positions you show there. I'm in the process of doing the same on my boat though I will have a triple clutch so I am not sure where the hand rail will go yet!

edit: ok I see now that your main hatch does not interfere there.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 20:46   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Looks like the cheek block will work fine. If the line chafes when the block is bolted down make an angled pad to mount it on out of teak or 'Starboard'. Easy to do with a belt sander to grind an angle on the pad or on a table saw if you have access to one.

Would go with the forward location of the clutch. It's a small boat so side stresses shouldn't be too great but why chance it if the forward clutch location will work.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote