Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2023, 11:02   #1

Boat: Cascade 42
Running rigging and winch layout -42' cutter?

I am working on completely re-rigging a Cascade 42 with cutter rig (removable baby stay). The boat only had minimal running rigging in place when I bought it and I have run the main control lines aft to the cockpit. The current lines in place are:
Cabin top port to 4 clutches: main halyard, main sheet, reef1, reef 2.
Cabin top starboard to 3 clutches: outhaul, boom vang, topping lift.
Jib sheets to ST48 winches.
Furler line to ST16.
Jib Halyard to ST30 at mast.

I need to add:
1. Babystay - considering this dyneema
option https://www.oceanchandlery.com/dynee...ency-stay.html
2. Running backstays.
3. Aysm Spinnaker + lines
4. Preventer lines.

Questions:
1. does the general layout look workable?
2. Can I use the ST16 furler winch for the spin tack line as well or would the ST48 be better?
3. Where should I tension the backstays?
4. How to route preventers?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lines and winches.PNG
Views:	188
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	270779  
pdx_sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2023, 11:48   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Re: Running rigging and winch layout -42' cutter?

Nice drawing.

I thought this may help. She is not a typical 42’ CC.

Is she glass or wood?

Thats a good bit of sail area for the displacement.

I use this type of preventer, single line to a winch. The unit attaches to the boom where the vang would go. Then a soft vang attaches to the preventer.

Not one of you questions but I will comment anyway. I am no a big fan of sheeting the boom. I much prefer end boom sheeting, across your aft cabin deck would be ideal. We recently had a very long thread about this topic regarding a couple killed by their main sheet. Moving hours aft, if possible would do a few things for you besides making it safer. It is easier on the boom, less force needed and takes some clutter away from a very full foredeck. All those lines need to run under the traveller. Down side is the traveller arc is shorter. May or may not be a deal breaker, you are pretty narrow.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	70EB7E2F-F32D-4A1E-B500-838C91889B4E.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	291.5 KB
ID:	270780   Click image for larger version

Name:	78BDF60B-FAD2-4A04-962D-83458D33FDDF.jpeg
Views:	49
Size:	386.3 KB
ID:	270782  

hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2023, 12:24   #3

Cabin Top is more like this:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	profile.PNG
Views:	43
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	270784  
Old 29-01-2023, 12:38   #4

Boat: Dufour 29

It looks like you are running most things back to the cockpit. In that case, you may want to rig a control line to pull the slack runners forward and out of the way when you are not using them. I keep a pennant running from the end of the boom toward the point where the vang attaches. That way it is easy to shackle on a preventer even when the boom end is outboard. For the same reasons stated above with respect to sheeting point, I think boom end preventer is much stronger and puts less bending strain on the boom. I keep preventer lines run on both sides to secure points close to bow, clipped to toe rails about where the pennant from the boom reaches. I run them both back on the same side to winch in cockpit.
I must say I admire the clear diagram -- much easier to understand.
Brioche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2023, 13:43   #5

Hpeer: Hull is glass, model is 42 high side with extra 1000llbs ballast. Mid boom sheeting spread across 2 bails on boom is there to stay.

Brioche: Will set up preventers to end of boom. I like the Pennant idea to connect the preventer lines. Do you use winches or purchase to tension the runners?

thanks
Old 29-01-2023, 14:25   #6

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

The first thing I notice is that you have two ST40 winches dedicated to your staysail and no secondary winches in the cockpit.

I would utilize these winches as secondary winches, probably relocate them to the cockpit aft of the primary ST48s. You can still use them for the Staysail sheets or multi utilize them. For example you can use the windward one for the running backstay (solving your "tensioning" dilemma) and the leeward one for the staysail sheet. You can install stoppers to hold these lines temporarily or just juggle all these lines during a tack. Downwind you can run spinnaker sheets to those secondary winches.

Next I notice that you have several minor lines run to the stbd cabin top ST30. Seems like over kill. I would relocate the ST16 to that area for these functions.

Then, with the stbd 30 free I would put the main halyard and mainsheet on the stbd side separating them from the reef lines on the port side. You are likely going to use those functions all at once while reefing and having them on separate winches makes that easier.

For the assym spin, put the halyard at the mast and run the tack to the newly relocated ST16. The spin sheets of course go the the newly relocated ST40's.

Leave your furler on the port railing and use the secondaries if needed (they would be free at the time you need to furl the jib anyway).

Finally, your preventers: You can leave the preventer line from the end of the boom to the boom by the vang, and have twin preventer lines one on each side of the boat, that can hook into this. Those lines then become a longer line from the end of the boom to the side decks forward and then back to the cockpit to a free winch or cleat.
Old 30-01-2023, 13:55   #7

Wingssail, thanks for detailed feedback! the staysail and Spin halyard will be at the mast per plan but omitted from drawing. I will look into line routing for the stay sail sheets / secondary options. The deck is a little narrow between the cockpit coaming and I what to minimize trip hazards, but defiantly gives me some solid food for thought.

Tags
cutter, rigging, winch