Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2010, 12:29   #16

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Hell, I'd try it but knowing my luck the solder joint would give up in the mast and I'd have 10' of copper pipe wedged in foam 1/2 way up an aluminum mast more likely than not cutting through the wires that are sealed in the foam
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 12:32   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbusted67 View Post
By the way I just got my fifth star. Newbs bow down to me!!!!!!
loolz
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 12:34   #18

Hey Ben just run a bunch of zip ties up a shroud it will look beautiful. Don't cut them down either you can use the tails as telltails of sorts.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 13:44   #19

Boat: 37ft pilothouse in the PNW
what about using something like outdoor panduit. it is specifically designed for electrical connections is waterproof and aesthetically pleasing. it is adhered to the side of the mast your cabling goes inside and then a trim cover snaps into place concealing the wires. never tried it on a boat but use it all the time outside of buildings.
michaelmrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 14:50   #20

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38
I had the same problem with my Grampian mast. When I bought the boat, the electrical had given up the ghost and the VHF cable had been pinched and was no longer sound. So I pulled off the mast foot and peered inside. Ugh. The previous owner had poured poorly mixed 2 part foam into the mast to secure the electrical cables and the VHF lead. ( all the halliards were externaly run)

What I had was a partly expanded mass here n there with solid non expanded foam in pools every where else. All the leads were submerged in this muck. So I ended up sticking the mast into our sail racks about head high and opened up both ends. I then took some PVC conduit, and attached a chisel to one end, then started chiseling out the gunk and bits of wire. Every once in a while I'd put the hose from my 10 gallon shop vac on the mast and suck out all the lumps. It took about 3 weeks of evenings to chisel it all out.

Once that was done I made up the electrical and VHF into one package, tied into a loom with nylon cord and put that into the mast. Secured it at both ends and then packed the mast with foam rubber nerf balls. these were large enough to have to compress some as they went in, and I measured the mast so they were evenly spaced every couple of feet. I used my piece of conduit with a ply wood pad on it to push the balls up until they were where I wanted them. I believe there were something like 15 or 16 balls in there. (got them from Toys R Us)

I then put the caps back on, and put the mast up. Worked a charm.

Sabre
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 15:38   #21

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20
My friends Cal 34 has external halyards. To keep his cables from banging around inside the mast, he used groups of 3 tyraps within an inch of each other every few feet. The three tyraps had the long tails left on and pointed out 120 degrees from each other.

This only applies to the OPs problem if he decides to remove the foam.

John
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 18:22   #22
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Sure, you could also bring it down the backstay. Since this is shielded coaxial cable, not an antenna itself, it is totally different from an SSB antenna and does not have to be separated from the backstay. You'll just need a much longer (probably 2x the length by the time you are done) cable, unless you mount the radio at the helm. :-)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 20:34   #23

Boat: Boden 36 Triple chine long keel steel, named Nekeyah
When I built our mast I did not want wires inside it. I had lengths of thin alloy sheet folded into a lipped channel (about 3" x 3/4", with the legs splayed a little ) and just screwed them onto the mast. Over the past twenty years there have been more than a few times that we have been thankful for the easy access. It is the same anodised alloy as the mast , and not noticeable. No effect on sailing so far as I can tell.
Regards, Richard.
boden36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 21:51   #24

Boat: Looking for a new boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by boden36 View Post
When I built our mast I did not want wires inside it. I had lengths of thin alloy sheet folded into a lipped channel (about 3" x 3/4", with the legs splayed a little ) and just screwed them onto the mast. Over the past twenty years there have been more than a few times that we have been thankful for the easy access. It is the same anodised alloy as the mast , and not noticeable. No effect on sailing so far as I can tell.
Regards, Richard.
Where do you get that magic material?

I probably will run the wire down the backstay, simple enough right? Not super noticeable.
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 00:48   #25

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by cal40john View Post
--- To keep his cables from banging around inside the mast, he used groups of 3 tyraps within an inch of each other every few feet. The three tyraps had the long tails left on and pointed out 120 degrees from each other. ---
That's ingenious.
Old 05-05-2010, 19:37   #26
Marine Service Provider

I have used the sheath from a dacron line instead of tiewraps to attach coax to shrouds and stays. Pull the core out of the length of line needed to reach your mount for the antennae. Then thread the rigging wire and coax through the center using a fish tape. Seize the top with a whipping to keep the sheath from sliding down the wire and standing rigging, and reinstall it on the mast. The result is what appears to be just another halyard running up your mast.
xsboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 20:02   #27

Boat: Boden 36 Triple chine long keel steel, named Nekeyah
Unbusted 67, I just went to a sheet metal shop and had them guillotine smoe suitable alloy sheet and then put it into their bender to my specs. Cheap and easy. Regards, Richard.
boden36 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast