Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-05-2018, 09:04   #1

Boat: Westsail 32
Rust in new Sta Loks -- disassembly?

I replaced my shrouds 6 months ago with new 6mm 1x19 wire and Sta-Lok terminated them, as I wanted the ability to inspect them as needed.

Unfortunately, that need has come too soon, as I've noted rust plumes emerging from some of the deck-side fittings.

When I assembled them, I sealed them with silicone, but was deceived by GE's advertising of "100% silicone". Coming from an science background, when something says it's "100% silicone" you assume there aren't other percents left for other ingredients... in any case, I ended up using a product that had acetic acid in it GE Silicone 1 or 2, I forget.

It was too late at that point though, as the fittings had all been assembled. I did some research, and couldn't find compelling evidences that the acetic acid would cause issue. That might be the case in some circumstances, but in a confined space like the inside of the terminal, I think it's the cause of my rust.

I disassembled one terminal today, and there are rust stains inside, but the wire might still be in good shape. Unfortunately, I know of no way to remove the top portion of the the Sta Lok terminal without damaging the wire -- or if it is even possible to do so, and re-use it. I'd like to remove the fitting so that I can thoroughly clean and neutralize the wire, and re-seal it with a PH neutral sealant.

Is this possible, or am I facing an entire re-rig?
Ryban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2018, 09:15   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Rust in new Sta Loks -- disassembly?

What stops you taking the staloc apart and giving it a good clean?
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2018, 09:54   #3

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Are you sure the rust isn’t from the die leaving a few particles on the new wire?

We had that for the first three years with our wire....it’s since stopped rusting
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2018, 10:40   #4

I'm attaching two photos to clarify.

This is by far the worst of the bunch, and the one that caught my attention, so it's the one I inspected today.

Opening it wasn't a problem, but I can't get the top part to slide up the wire, which will be necessary to thoroughly inspect, clean, and re-seal the wire inside the terminal.

I've read of people screwing the bottom part of the fitting back on a few turns, and giving it a whack towards the wire with a hammer. The other option is to put the wire in a vice or a pair of vice-grips, and twist the top part of the terminal in the direction the wire is wound.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180517_114041.jpg
Views:	417
Size:	338.1 KB
ID:	169928   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180517_121538.jpg
Views:	448
Size:	324.8 KB
ID:	169929  

Old 17-05-2018, 10:50   #5

That’s the same stuff we had. Near as I can tell it from the die forming of the wire. Basically errant steel dust washing off and down the wire and collecting at the bottom
Old 17-05-2018, 10:52   #6

The rust is on the wire, though, inside the terminal, behind the silicone, so it all needs to come apart.

If you look closely at the ball-end of the second photo, there's a dark area between the strands of wire. That's silicone with dark rust behind it.
Old 17-05-2018, 12:57   #7

With all the surface contamination on the wire there is no way the silicone sealed to the strands. I’d actually really be surprised if the silicone even got into the center strands.

IMHO, put this back together and check it on another 6 months.
Old 17-05-2018, 13:11   #8

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

FWIW:

I've used acetic curing silicone in Sta Lok and Norseman terminals many times with no ill effects. If you look up the properties of 316 s/s, you will find that it is very resistant to acetic acid, even in high concentrations. It is suitable for acetic acid tanks so it is very unlikely that its slight presence in the cure process will cause harm, and even more so, that it's evil character somehow works its way UP the wire from the terminal as evidenced by the staining above the Sta lok.

So, I agree with those who suggest tht your staining is from iron contamination on the surface of the wire. You might try washing with phosphoric or oxalic acid (Barkeeper's Friend, etc) to get rid of the staining and see what happens over a few months.

Jim
Old 17-05-2018, 14:39   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

That is a lot of rust. Really shocking as a sta lok dealer. It could be something do with the wire, but I haven't noticed anything this extreme before.

Did you use enough silicone. Got a good amount of squeeze out at the top on every one?
Old 17-05-2018, 14:57   #10

Boat: Seafarer36c

A few months ago I used new wire (from Rigging Only) with old Sta-Loks and 4200 and it did the same thing. I hope it's stuff running down the wire. The top looks fine.
Don't you need to use a new cone if you take one apart?
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2018, 17:30   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecos View Post
A few months ago I used new wire (from Rigging Only) with old Sta-Loks and 4200 and it did the same thing. I hope it's stuff running down the wire. The top looks fine.
?

It will stop. Ours took about three years to really stop. Wire from the same supplier.
Old 17-05-2018, 18:09   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I think if you take a fingernail brush and scrub it really well with barkeepers friend, it will stop much faster.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2018, 02:07   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Slight thread drift, but why use silicone anyway? There is no way you could get a waterproof seal on a piece of multi strand wire going into a compression or sta-lok fitting. I suspect the best you could do is a blob of lanolin on the first couple of inches of wire.

Pete
Old 18-05-2018, 04:13   #14

Boat: no boat any more

...the Brits are getting ready for Brexit... & throwing all their b-graded product on the market...
Old 18-05-2018, 05:28   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Really? I thought Sta-loks were quite a good idea and have several on my boat.

Or was that just a friendly dig ;-) because we are taking our football and going home leaving the EU to sink into its own swamp. Does anyone know someone who can drain a swamp btw?

If I was going off shore a couple of sta-loks and a spare length of wire could easily be used to repair a broken stay.

Pete