Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2017, 17:42   #1

Boat: Passport 43
Rust never sleeps

Thinking about rust on my stainless keeps me up at night... I decided to do something about it. I tried rubbing with "Never Dull" a cotton impregnated product. I rubbed and used a toothbrush in the cracks with some success, however I had higher expectations. I followed that up with some "Turtle Wax" liquid. I'm just not sure the effort was worth the results. What have you found that works for you?
PassportJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 18:12   #2

Rust never sleeps

To bring your stainless to new condition and keep it that way you need to first remove ALL RUST, then protect it with a high quality polish such as Flitz.
There are a number of light acid based gels which will remove rust without scraping or abrasive rubbing. Gels keep the product where its needed only, apply lightly or generously as needed with a tooth brush and leave for twenty minutes or follow manufacturer instructions.
The gel is removed and neutralized with your water hose, water is cheap so rinse thoroughly.
After removing rust this way, don't leave your stainless unprotected for an extended time. Protect as soon as possible.
Suggest remove rust, then polish on one side or the bowsprit or push pit or other small area first, the spectacular results from this will inspire you to finish the entire vessel.
Ferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 22:49   #3

Re: Rust never sleeps

Oxalic acid is a common base chemical for rust removal. Make a weak solution <10%, wipe on, let it sit for a while, wipe off. 316 shouldn't need waxing, just an occasional wipe with a damp cloth. Oxalic acid will remove rust spots on gelcoat, just give it time. great for organic stains too. Protect yourself when using it.
dlymn is offline   Reply With Quote