Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-09-2010, 17:23   #16

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinthere View Post
Really? I was considering adding netting where we leave the cockpit onto the deck just in case. But it will not keep an adult in the boat?
Given strong stanchion bases, the netting will certainly keep most adults--even a reasonably "robust" adult--aboard. The netting functions not unlike the netting in a hammock but suspended between the stanchions. One might hold that the stanchions are inadaquate to support the weight of even a non-robust adult. However, keep in mind that the base of the stanchions are supported by the deck at one end and the top by the upper life-line (which functions like a cable support for a bridge structure). Moreover, the force transverse to the stanchions--i.e. into the netting--is transferred by the netting mesh as tension to all of the points of support, rather than just the stanchions on either side of the point of impact while the elasticity of the material dampens the blow.

Ignoring all of the rudimentary physics of the foregoing, speaking as a 175# adult male that has has the experience of being pitched into netting between stanchions on a 29' boat across a 10' wide bow by a breaking wave, the netting does work, although I would certainly not do without a tether to jack lines as well...

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2010, 17:40   #17

Quote:
Really? I was considering adding netting where we leave the cockpit onto the deck just in case. But it will not keep an adult in the boat?
At best it will slow you down. But, that can be enough to save you.

Get a piece of it, stand on it and pull it up, see how it rips.
Old 22-09-2010, 18:23   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Windage? Sure, but what significance to those not racing? Not much! --but what is the net funtion? Do you really have toddlers and pets walking about your deck in any kind of weather? Does that big genny really fall in the water when lowered? It's probably roller furling anyway. We didn't have any netting for our children growing up aboard from infancy to adulthood. How would they feel to come back home and find we put up netting for our dog and not them! If there is a weather and wave risk, I'll be wearing a harness; the toddlers will be in the cockpit and the dog will be teathered! If that's not your plan, then you'd best have the net! Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Old 22-09-2010, 21:00   #19

Boat: Fuji 32 Ketch
Send a message via MSN to irwin28
Actually I was going to use it on my Soveral 36, and I figured with so much deck area that it would make a bit of a difference. After reading these posts it seems less justifiable to me.
irwin28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2010, 21:41   #20

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
Are you kidding; bare feet on a boat?

If you have a trunk cabin, I'd think any ill-wind effects would be minor/minuscule. If you have a flush deck, you're handicapping the boat in a competitive race. Since I frequently stub toes, I never go barefooted on a boat except on rare occasion.
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2010, 05:39   #21

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Quote:
If you read the labels on the netting from the manufacturer it specifically states it is not warranted for the purpose of keeping adults onboard the boat. Even lifelines and their stanchions are primarily there for assistance in giving you a reference as to where the edge of the deck is. A 200 lbs (90 Kg - average adult male) adult will not be stopped by the netting alone. Do you see lifeline netting on the around the world racing boats?
- - Look carefully at the construction of the netting in the package, it is rather fine twine with large mesh size. For a simple slip/fall of low velocity the netting can be of assistance. But out in the big ocean when a breaking wave washes over the deck that netting and even the lifelines will not stop you from visiting with Neptune. Here is a simple test - run across the cabin top and jump into the air and collide with a lifeline stanchion and see what happens. Do you allow dock helpers to push off or stop your boat from impacting the dock by grabbing a stanchion and pushing? That can get real expensive.
- - Only a safety harness, tether and jackines/deck attachments will take that kind of shock loading. Add in the sun's UV eating at the twine and it won't be long before whatever original strength is reduced to near zero.
- - To add to Healer52's comment get a piece of netting that has been out in the tropical sun for a year or more and then do the same test. Are you willing to totally replace the netting every year or less?
- - Cruising the oceans is not a danger-free activity. This is a Cruising Forum and not a "day-sailor" forum. On a cruising boat cruising the oceans you will be many miles - hundreds or thousands from the nearest land and outside assistance. Proper respect (the rule of one hand for yourself and one hand for the ship) and proper equipment will assist in keeping you alive. Relying on equipment that is neither designed nor warranted for restraining a 100Kg/(200+lb adult) will give you a very false sense of security that could very well end up costing you your life or your crew's life.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2010, 06:55   #22

Boat: Roaring Girl: Maxi 120 ketch, 12 long
We have netting on RG as one design flaw (of very few of course!) is that she no bulwarks or toe rails, so things can go over very easily. To begin with, we also had two cats, but the arch you have to put in for cleats actually made a bit of a mockery of the floating-cat-prevention objective. At that time, it went up to the top guard rail.

Last summer we replaced the elderly netting but kept it to first guard rail height, which looks tidier. It still protects stuff on deck and the windage is minute compared to jerry-cans, furling sails, stack-a-pak, two masts, a passarelle on the pushpit ...

However we did consider dodgers (which I had on my first boat) and decided that that would be too much additional windage. We've seen a boat with toddlers that had amazing allround dodgers, with flaps that came down over the cleats as well. Very neat it was, but a b---r to moor in a cross wind.
Roaring Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2010, 00:33   #23
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
This is a Cruising Forum and not a "day-sailor" forum. On a cruising boat cruising the oceans you will be many miles - hundreds or thousands from the nearest land and outside assistance.
Thank you for telling me I don't belong here. I have no plans nor desire to sail across oceans. Moderators, I guess you need to delete my account.
gettinthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2010, 03:29   #24

regarding the colour of netting, we have white and we've discovered it greatly reduces visibility when the sun is directly on it (ie looking forward when the sun is directly behind). Sun shining through it is fine. A friend tells me that black is not only easier to see through (less reflected light) but also it's more UV resistant and lasts longer. He recommends black commercial fishing netting as it's way stronger than chandlery netting.
stickybeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2010, 09:08   #25

Boat: Cal 2-46
gettingthere...I am not a moderator but I can say you are welcome! you don't have to cross an ocean to be a cruiser!

Regarding oririssail's comments, some of what he was indicating is very useful information... particularly the point about having people on the docks use the stanchions to maneuver the boat. I am constantly having to explain that this very attractive place to grab (especially on a smaller boat <30 feet) is not the place to do it.
LuvToSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2010, 12:56   #26

Boat: Fuji 32 Ketch
Send a message via MSN to irwin28
Getting here I agree with love to sail, and I much appreciate your helpful post.
irwin28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2010, 13:16   #27

Quote:
Thank you for telling me I don't belong here. I have no plans nor desire to sail across oceans. Moderators, I guess you need to delete my account.
Don't take it personally. Wait until you ask a question about Rocna anchors, guns onboard, or whether to get a multi-hull or monohull.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2010, 15:44   #28
Marine Service Provider

I have no questions about rocna, I bought a manson Supreme.

I carry a flare gun aboard, doesn't everybody?

Some of my best friends sail multi-hulls.
Old 24-09-2010, 15:49   #29

Boat: Cal 2-46
gettingthere ...live by the sword, die by the sword. You might as well ask if you can cross an ocean with a Cat 27 now.
LuvToSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2010, 15:50   #30
Marine Service Provider

Sail with 27 cats? EEEEKKKK