Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-08-2016, 20:19   #16

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Sail cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant Gordon View Post
True that. But 100.00 for a sewing machine, plus 7 yards of Sunbrella at around 30.00 per yard, plus zippers, plus fasteners, etc etc. In the end you save 200.00 for X hours of labour. And hopefully it all goes well on the first try.

I work in a loft and I see a lot of guys try to save 100.00 by doing it themselves and at the end of the week, they have saved that 100.00 but have lost a week of good sailing.
On the other hand, they have learned a bit about canvas work and have still got the machine and likely some left over tools, thread and bits/pieces. This will not be the only time that canvas work is needed, and the startup costs are now all paid. Ann and I have certainly profited from our efforts at this sort of project over the years, and even enjoy the jobs. Watching something useful come to life under our hands is a reward in itself, and over the years I reckon we have saved some dollars.

Jim
Old 24-08-2016, 07:30   #17

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Sail cover

It is not a week job. Two days at the very most. With my limited skills, I believe this would be maybe 4 to 6 hours work.

You do not do it when you are sailing because fitting is complicated when the boat is sailing. You do it back home and no sailing time is lost.

Fasteners are cents.

And it does not have to be Sunbrella unless you are sailing a Mercedes and in this case the discussion is not relevant.

It is simply a choice between learning something new and having fun building OR buying the bloody thing. That simple.

600 per 45' is not a rip off if you buy it from any normal shoreside business in any civilized (unfortunately) country. I bet Ft Lauderdale and Stockholm this may actually be the lower limit.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sail cover