Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-12-2008, 09:33   #1

Boat: Westsail 32
Sail Covers, Deck Bags, and Stackpacks

Hey all,

I'm working on making new deck bags for all of my sails, as well as a stackpack for my main.

Do you have any things you've seen that you really liked about a sail cover or deck bag? A special feature, or method for constructing? I'm sewing from scratch using 46" wide Sunbrella and PTFE/teflon thread (solarane - like Tenara or Profilen).

I already plan to include for my jibs/stays'l:
• RIRI zippers with sun flaps held down with velcro.
• Brass clips/rings at the top and bottom of each zipper to take any strain the bag has on the stay and keep it of the zipper.
• Lifting straps at the front and back of the bags.
• A strap with brass d-ring at the after edge to attach a halyard for keeping the bag off the deck.
• Maybe a little pouch on the outside of each for keeping a few dedicated sail ties.
• Clear labels for identifying the sails.

As for the stackpack, well...I'm just going to wing it. I'm going out to measure for it this afternoon and am going to put together a sketch and plan for building. It shouldn't be too tough, but I've never made something like it, or this big before, so it will be a learning experience. Actually, I have only recently learned to sew, so this is all a learning experience!

Any comments, photos, features or ideas you have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time and happy holidays to all!

Cheers,
Aaron N

W32 #482 Asia Marie

blahman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2008, 09:56   #2

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
If you have not found this already, lots of good info at
Instructions and Tips
http://www2.sailrite.com/PDF/StackPack.pdf

These are two different links but looks like one.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2008, 10:49   #3

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
My next mainsail cover I'm going to have it extend all the way to the deck and out a bit to cover all the halyard deck blocks.

We have lots of wild birds that like to purch on the mast top and do their business. It's not EZ to clean around all those lines/blocks.
Old 24-12-2008, 00:08   #4

Hey all,

What is the method used to reeve slab/jiffy reefing lines through the base of the stackpack? I have cheek blocks mounted on the side of my boom and all of my lines are external. I have to figure out a way to get the lines through the pack without letting too much light in, but without risking a hockle tearing the pack.

Thanks for your help!
Aaron N.

W32 #482 Asia Marie

Old 24-12-2008, 03:44   #5

Boat: Morgan OI 30' Itinerant
Jib bag

Our sunbrella jib cover connects to the forestay w the sail inside. It has an onion bag like material on the bottom that allow moisture to escape and a string that allows it to be tied so its off the deck when packed.
Its relatively simple to remove but is like putting if you a 300lb man into a pillow case in repacking... Seriously, it works pretty well.

J.M.Synge, in The Aran Islands
Boomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2008, 04:33   #6
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
Hi there Blahman,
Picking a few more brains before getting started I see. For reefing lines I take a piece of fabric and fold it so there arent any raw edges and make the slot 5 thicknesses on the edge with no gap. Maybe a leather edge would be nice for chafe. The extra thickness keeps the shape so it doesnt form a hole and kind of hugs the reefing line, It doesnt have to be a big slot, I just reef the sail properly and take note of where the lines are and make it just that big. If you need a frame bent for your future dodger, I have way too much tubing on my boat right now and will be going by your way soon. might be able to talk the other half into cutting special deal. I use common sense fasteners on the jib bag instead of zippers, couple of reasons. Zippers dont last,they will be first thing to fail, Commonsense can be done easier by feel, trying to start zipper slide in dark on pitching deck while hanging on can be inconvenient. Need big sun flaps inside bag when using commonsense.are you also doing bimini?
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2008, 12:38   #7

Forsail,

Yeah, I've posted on a few forums where sailors and upholsterers hang around; the more ideas, the better! I'm nearly done with my jib/stays'l bags.

I'd like to make a dodger/bimini setup and will need tubing for the getup. A friend explained that it's pretty easy to bend the stuff by making a wood radius an pulling it around the bend.

When do you plan to be in the area?

Thanks!
Aaron N.

W32 #482 Asia Marie

Old 24-12-2008, 13:22   #8
cruiser

I made several postings here that seem to have been deleted. Where did they go?
Brent
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2008, 14:30   #9

You will also find that tubing is easier to bend without accidental flattening if first you pack the tube with dry sand, then draw it around a former.
Bloodhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2008, 14:39   #10
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
Im in stuart fl now. I am just completing a kinda large job. All I have left is some screens and fitted sheets so I imagine a week or so. I checked out the work you and father did on engine and compartment , impressive. Yes its not bad bending on plywood jigs, I did that for 3 yrs before splurging for the 1k investment for tools. the only thing thats vital if you bend with ply is a very solid blocking or clamping right where the bend starts. otherwise the tubing is prone to kink. Also I can do the radius over the center of the bow that is not feasible with ply. email me at forsailbyowner@gmail.com also check out my profile Ive been working on article on bimini patterning that is incomplete but may help your plans. Steve R
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 09:06   #11

Hey all,

I broke the lift bar for my presser foot a couple of days ago and just got it fixed this morning (had to weld a part back on). I'm aiming to have my covers and stackpack done early this week; maybe Tuesday, depending on how much time I have. I don't "seam" to get sewing until after 9:00pm, so my progress seems to putter. Plus, the hardware I ordered was lost and stolen in the mail; I received an empty envelope that had been taped together with masking tape. Luckily, the seller is resending the stuff with no charge.

You can see some detail photos of the bags/stackpack, as well as the upholstery I just finished through the following links. Once I'm done, I'm thinking of putting together an article to send to a few magazines (Good Old Boat, Latitudes, etc) called "Stitching for the Stingy" or "Sewing Your Own Sail Covers" or something like that. It might be fun to put together.

Sail Covers
Upholstery

I have made significant progress on the bags (they're nearly done; just waiting on the lost bronze clips). It's looking like I'll have three jib bags (stays'l, yankee, genoa), stackpack, three hatch covers, and my interior upholstery for under $600, including the sewing machine purchase. So I'm happy.

Cheers,
Aaron N.

W32 #482 Asia Marie

Old 16-01-2009, 09:05   #12

Hey all,

I have my stackpack and foredeck bags finished and installed. I do have yet to make a cover for the luff of my mainsail, to be attached to the stackpack, but I wanted to finish and install the pack before making the attachment. I'll try to get it done this week.

You can see detail photos of the sewing, as well as the installed products at:
Asia Marie Sail Covers

Thank you for your interest and support!
Aaron N.

W32 #482 Asia Marie

Tags
sail bag, sail cover, stackpack