Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2017, 02:07   #1

Boat: Hallberg Rassy Monsun 31
Sail design software?

I am toying with the thought of making a new main sail for my 22' boat from scratch. I will have the time this winter and it will be a great way to get some experience in sail making.

I wonder if any of you know of any sail design software that could help me with the design and the templates?

Another option is to take my worn out old main sail, take it a part and then use the parts as templates for the new sail. But then I wont be able to sail while making the new sail.

I Consider to make a Youtube video series for the project. Would anyone be interested in that?

Still first things first, so the main question is if anyone know a good sail design software? Books and other resources are also most welcome.
kjemmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 05:03   #2

Boat: Ovni 395
Re: Sail design software?

SailCut - http://sailcut.com
xslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 13:25   #3

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Sailrite (sp?) in the USA used to sell small pamphlets on design of various sails. I used them years ago to design and then build sails for my Yankee 30. A bit primitive by modern standards, but the methods produced workable sails.

As far as using the old sail as a pattern: don't do this! First, the old sail will be stretched out of shape, and you don't want to reproduce that bad shape! Second, part of the shape comes from broadseaming, and that will not be obvious in the disassembled panels.

As far as u-tube productions, I suspect that this has already been done, both by Sailrite and by other amateurs. You might benefit from some research there yourself!

Good luck! Winning a few races with sails I'd designed and built myself was a VERY satisfying experience!

Jim
Old 10-10-2017, 22:03   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by xslim View Post
Thanks. I will look into it.
Old 10-10-2017, 22:06   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Sailrite (sp?) in the USA used to sell small pamphlets on design of various sails. I used them years ago to design and then build sails for my Yankee 30. A bit primitive by modern standards, but the methods produced workable sails.
Thanks for the feedback.

Are sail designs from Sailrite still considered primitive? I was also considering to get them to do the design and templates and then do the rest of the work my self.
Old 10-10-2017, 22:24   #6

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjemmo View Post
Thanks for the feedback.

Are sail designs from Sailrite still considered primitive? I was also considering to get them to do the design and templates and then do the rest of the work my self.
Oh, no, Sailrite has access to modern design software and laser cutting tables. The books I was talking about were for folks who wanted to do the whole thing themselves. And do be aware, we're talking somewhere around 1980 here, long before the advent of software proliferation and automated cutting. Simple, cross cut Dacron sails and radial head kites... no tri radial designs or other fancy stuff!

I'd think that a sailrite kit would be the basis for a good sail. However, in the past, the cost advantage was not great and now with all the Oriental sail making lofts/factories, that advantage may well have disappeared entirely. If your aim is to save money, do the homework. If the aim is to learn basic sailmaking and have the thrill of seeing your own handiwork generating sail power, well, it's not just economics!

Jim
Old 15-10-2017, 19:28   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Laurie Davidson 35

You would be better off buying the book "The sailmakers apprentice" and hand cutting it than using sailcut. Any proper design software for sails starts at $5000. It would also be possible to design in any normal cad program, but time consuming!
Kestrahl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, software